Any way to price (in dollars) a mixed cabin itinerary?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by LarryInNYC, Jan 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am the proud owner of award tickets NYC -> CMB -> BKK -> NYC this summer. The TPAC flights are all in business, but some of the shorter positioning and intra-Asia flights are in economy.

Just for fun, I'd like to calculate the approximate cost, in dollars for these itineraries. I know that the same stops (cheapest routings) are about $2,300 in economy and $5,300 in business. None of the search tools, however, allow me to specify some of the flights in business and some in economy to actually reflect what we're flying.

Is there any way I could get an estimate of the price to buy the mixed-cabin itinerary we're on?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well if you have the flight numbers, can't you just pop the segments individually into ITA and look at the prices for those flights? Or maybe a multi-city search and use a combination of F: and /F BC= for the specific flights?

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume that a complete round-trip itinerary is likely to price differently than the individual segments (although there are enough different carriers on the award that it may have priced out as separate segments).

I can't find any tool that allows multi-city search with different fare classes on the different legs.

4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Larry,

Don't know of any others, but on the UA website you can price a multi-city trip with each leg in a different fare class. Just tried it for a couple of TATL roundtrips later this year and it worked well. Even if you're not flying UA on your trip, you might want to try it for a similar routing (if available on UA or their partners) to get an idea of costs for the various classes and segments.

LarryInNYC likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not with lots of different carriers involved. You typically end up with a lot of end-on-end one-way fares just added together. It is a wholly unrealistic valuation method but it can be fun to see the huge numbers in play.

viguera likes this.
  6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does there exist a comprehensive tutorial aimed at beginners for understanding the language of fare rules?

Yes, I consider the "value" of the award (to me) to be the economy class fare for my destinations by the cheapest routing, rather than the routing I got for award flights, and the higher class of service. The business class seats are a big plus (of course), but I could have gotten to my destination for the coach class fare. Still, it would be fun to see the numbers. :D

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    LarryInNYC likes this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    That might work. It's a * Alliance award issued through United but with no United segments.

blackjack-21 likes this.