Any way to perminantly register MPC number on my AAdvantage PNR?

Discussion in 'Cathay Pacific | Asia Miles/Marco Polo Club' started by Canadi>n, Nov 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having taken out a Marco Polo Club membership I still plan to earn my mileage in my AAdvantage account. Is there anyone here who is in the same situation and has their MPC account somehow perminantly recorded on their AA PNR so CX gets proper notification of flight credits for MPC renewal status? Otherwise how would I handle this with any ONEWORLD carrier I'd be flying (also so my Sapphire status from MPC shows).

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure you can earn miles in AA but status in CX? It would be very unusual to be allowed to do so.

3. klrsmith

klrsmith Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not unusual, I earn the majority of my MP/AM points on AA flights and those points are certainly responsible for my status renewals every year.

4. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP wants to earn miles with AA but Club Miles with CX

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    To clarify, not trying to double dip on redeemable miles, just want to have credits recorded to maintain Marco Polo membership/status which IIRC is permissible.

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    So pray tell, can you answer my original question? Can the MPC number be registered with AA so the credits for MPC status post while miles still go to AAdvantage?

7. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I right in thinking that if you earn AA miles for the flying, those miles will also be automatically counting towards AA status?

If so, I'd be surprised if you were allowed to have those flights count towards CX status at the same time.

If you earn Asia Miles, you can earn CX status. That's because Asia Miles don't count for status, which is earned via Marco Polo Club only. Is that what you were thinking of?

8. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was referring to. I was led to believe that the MPC was separate from AMs, and that one did not have to credit flights to AM to qualify for status in the MPC. One could earn status credits in the MPC by flying any Oneworld carrier but still earn FF miles/points in another carrier's program. Is that not the case?

9. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not 100% sure about this. But my impression is that:-
    1. You can earn Marco Polo Club miles/sectors towards status and simultaneously earn Asia Miles towards awards.
    2. Alternatively, you can earn Marco Polo Club miles/sectors towards status and simultaneously earn BA Miles with the British Airways Executive Club (instead of earning Asia Miles). This special arrangement may no longer exist, and may be (or have been) subject to residency requirements in any event. If I'm right about this, I imagine that it worked because BA Miles (now called Avios) don't count for status, which in BAEC is earned via Tier Points.
    3. Otherwise, you can't earn status in the Marco Polo Club and miles in another scheme.
    I hazard this from hazy memory because there clearly isn't a wealth of CX expertise on this board, otherwise you'd have had a definitive answer by now.

But one thing which everyone would find surprising is if you could earn miles in a scheme like AA's, in which the miles themselves count for status, and simultaneously earn status in another airline's scheme.

10. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is cuz CX and BA used to hv a mutual agreement that members can earn miles on the respective geo location while earning status on the original airline. Im not sure if the agreement still holds but for sure as an euro mpc member and if you clock redeemable miles on BA, you wont earn asiamiles.. And vice versa

Otherwise i dont know of other double dipping programs...