Any way to load PayPal through Office Stores?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by tulane09, Mar 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tulane09

tulane09 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking to pay my taxes with PayPal. Would love to get 5x at office stores. Anyone know if its possible?

GoodBoy likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't recommend loading any substantial balance on PayPal. They don't call it ScamPal for nothing. ;)
    Their signature scam goes as follows. Whenever your balance exceeds a few hundred $, and it doesn't come from eBay -- the account is likely to become "limited", i.e. locked up for 180 days. During that time you can't withdraw or spend your funds, and eBay accountants consider it a company asset on the balance sheet.

3. livefastdiefun

livefastdiefun Silver Member

Status Points:
    Load to fast and they will shut you down. Withdraw too fast and they will shut you down. If you use Paypal for anything other than Miles/Points, its hardly worth the risk.

GoodBoy, TravelBear and mo26 like this.
  4. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    While paypal does have it's risks I have been able to do about $1000 a month in loads and withdrawals to meet minimum spends the last few months. I load them to my account then "pay" my wife and she then withdraws the money into our bank account. Rinse and repeat... It's not a ton of money so if it did get locked up I could handle it but there is a risk.

Having said that the only way I could think you could load is to purchase a gift card from one of the office supply stores and then use that to buy a paypal card at CVS. Not going to be cheap though since the max value gift card you could get at an office store is $200. You might be better off finding another route to go.

GoodBoy likes this.
  5. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, how would you make miles/points/money from paypal?

Paypal passes on fees on almost anything.... edumacate me please. =)

I regularly have a few thousand in my paypal account, so would love to get points from the balances.

GoodBoy likes this.
  6. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't earn miles/points with $$ in your Paypal account. What everyone else is referring to is that you can buy a visa gift card with your credit card. If you have a card that earns 5x points (at drug stores or Office stores), thats where you gain. Then you take that gift card and go to CVS to buy a Paypal cash card. You load that cash card into your PayPal account, and if you have a wife/husband, you send that money to her. If you put that money back in your bank account, its almost guarantee suspension.

Like everyone has said, once you have that Paypal cash card transferred into your Paypal account, your account will be invisibly flagged. Nothing will happen to you, unless you withdraw it into your bank account then you might get suspended. What Dad to GO did is working for now, but eventually PayPal may stop that too. What he does is "pays" his wife through eCheck, so it just looks like he is sending money and not putting that cash for his own personal use. You can just google and read all the horror stories of why people have had their paypal account suspended for months.

In the past, people have taken advantage of this similar method (with other credit cards) and had their accounts and banks banned them for life.

With all that being said, its harder and harder to buy gift cards, cash reloadable cards, Vanilla reloads, etc. with credit cards nowadays. It is debit card and cash only.

GoodBoy likes this.
  7. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heh, it did not cross my mind to buy the reload cards, then use reload cards to buy paypal cards.

Will have to check who lets you around here.

Only thing is... those $4 fees sure add up.

SuperKirby likes this.
  8. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly, its only worth it if you can get 5 cents per dollar, then at least you'll be making some money.

$100 purchase = $5 back - $4 fee = $1 net worth

I stopped the whole reload-able card game, too much time and hassle to find a place that accepts credit cards. Plus, it's an even better peace of mind knowing you're in good terms with Amex, Chase, & PayPal.

9. maksim

maksim Silver Member

Status Points:

That is the biggest thing, paypal...I own a forum that has a few k a month going through paypal... cannot afford to have account closed. HOWEVER.... I do have some legit bill pay bills I am thinking of doing through paypal/blue bird.

Between paying for Office lease/office utilities/office supplies/cell phones... it is a few k a month.

its worth investigating, but if I did not have the business and legit expenses... too much risk.

SuperKirby likes this.
  10. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO, If you have legit bills/business and as long you don't over do it, there shouldn't be a problem. If VRs and visa gift cards were easily accessible for me, i would probably buy a few here and there, nothing too much to look suspicious. Its just for me they are sooo hard to come by that to go out and look for them is not worth the hassle. I got myself into this whole game by promising myself that I wouldn't go out of the ordinary time and $$ spent for rewards. To earn rewards from what you would do in regular day spending anyway is truly 100% free with no effort whatsoever.
    To go out and do the extra mile (no pun intended) i feel like i'm working for my rewards which kinda negates the whole process.