Any way to join ShopDiscover without a Discover credit card?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by gconnery, Apr 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume the answer is no... I poked around and while its easy to find a random discover card number, since they want the card expiration date, your info etc, they're obviously looking this up someplace. I guess I need to consider getting a NAF discover card?

2. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, you cannot. ShopDiscover is tied to your online account, so when you're entering your card, it's validating for an online account to manage the card as well. I've got a $50 c/b bonus offer (that I think most referrals get these days), but there may be a better one out there. I haven't checked recently. This comes in SUPER handy in holiday season when they bump CB up to 10% on a lot of retailers. Worth the pull, no doubt.

3. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so I'm reasonably well versed in Chase, Amex, Citi, BofA, Barclay et al. But I've never paid ANY attention to Discover cards. What's the best option? How about the best cash back option? How about with no annual fee (ever)?

gregm likes this.
  4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Discover IT card is pretty much the Discover equivalent to Chase Freedom, except that you've got access to the Discover portal instead. No annual fee, 1st late payment forgiveness (we all goof sometimes) and tons of cash back opportunities, especially around the holidays. There have been new signup offers as much as $150 CB, but I don't know how prevalent they are. The $50 one is available to you by anyone who offers you a referral - the referring person gets $50 as well once you're approved.

There really aren't other choices as a new customer - there are some existing discover cards that have different features than IT, but nothing significantly better. IT is the only personal card choice these days.

gconnery likes this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may be a really stupid question, but are there Discover cards that can be tied to airlines/hotel chains like, for example, the Delta Amex?

6. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope :(

gregm and gconnery like this.
  7. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The $150 offer for $750 in spending is still alive and available. Google it, or call Discover directly and ask for it.

gconnery and servo like this.
  8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Double :(:(

9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still a good card to have. There are a few retailers with unbeatable cashback (5% on Apple, for example) and $50 for $45 or $40 gift cards make that a rather nice deal too.

10. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I'm running out of runway with Chase and Citi and Amex pretty soon so a small diversion into a NAF long-term Discover card wouldn't be a bad idea. Put it on the list.

11. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been thinking about the DiscoverIT for the portal as well. Seems their portal pays out more reliably than other portals.

As another (redundant?) data point, you can not get the discover portal even if you have discover checking. It must be through a cc. :(

gconnery likes this.