Any way to get cheaper Passports

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by toddreg, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had let our passports run out a couple years back. I just picked up three applications at the post office and found out that even non-expedited passports are a bit over $150 each. Is there any other way to get these a whole lot cheaper?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the US government issues (legal) passports as a monopoly, so I don't think so, assuming that you're doing it yourself and not using a passport/visa service agency and minimizing postage/courier fees by selecting lower fees. My AAA office gives members two free passport photos per year, which I recently discovered by accident. AFAIK no credit card or FF program refunds passport fees (unlike AmEx Plat/Centurion paying for Global Access).

Even if your old passport is expired, you might be able to "renew" it or otherwise use it to apply for a new passport. Read the fine print carefully and be sure to look at the renewal forms even if you think they do not apply in your case.

I'm pretty sure an illegal/fake passport would be more expensive, but I never tried to get one.

lin821 and jmrich1432 like this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I wish the State Dept issued discount coupons and promos, I just paid $160 for passport pages to be added and expedited service. :eek:

But, as MSPeconomist has already stated, I don't think so.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure a real passport costs less than a fake one, and will have fewer negative consequences.

lin821, viguera and jmrich1432 like this.
  5. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should do it before end of this year, I think the fee is going up in January 2012.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  7. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get your passport renewed in Israel.

This is from the website of the Embassy in Tel Aviv:

Fees for Adult Passports
    • First adult passport:

$ 135
      (which includes a separate surcharge of $40) or the NIS equivalent at the Consular Fee Exchange rate established by the Embassy.
    • Adult passport by mail renewal fee:

$ 110
      (which includes a separate surcharge of $40) or the NIS cash or the NIS equivalent at the Consular Fee Exchange rate established by the Embassy

8. baliparis
    Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Again? There was a fee increase July 2010. The current passport renewal fee is $110. And the passport card is $30 if you choose to get one.

9. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a hint for the future, if you request additional pages when you renew (or initially apply), there is no additional cost. Otherwise, you get to pay the excessive $80/book to have pages taped in.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Which is great, but my passport is valid till 2019. I'll be waiting awhile. :)