Any way to earn HH points from dinning without a hotel stay?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by LAM, Jul 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be attending a large family dinner soon at a restaurant in a Hilton property. Is there any way to earn HH points on dining not using a HH credit card to pay or stay in the property and charge it to the room? I know at SPG properties you can earn points just on dinning without a stay. I am hoping my parents will let me pay the bill with my SP card or my HH Amex as they do not have a rewards card. Such a waste. The bill should be around $500.00

uggboy likes this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe you may do that if you are in the States.
    http://www.hhonorsdining.com/

General Terms.

uggboy likes this.
  3. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice try, WilliamQ, but your link is to Rewards Network a.k.a. Idine, which gives HHonors points to member customers for dining at member restaurants. LAM wants to earn at a restaurant inside & owned by the Hilton hotel, which is another matter.

uggboy likes this.
  4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think only SPG does this.

uggboy likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt does as well. One earns 5 GP points/$ for non-stay charges, but the points do not count toward elite qualification.

To get HH points for non-stay charges, one must pay the check/bill with a HHonors co-branded CC (10HH/$ for Citi reserve visa and 12HH/$ for AMEX Surpass, so it is great if one has either card) or join the Hilton dining program in which case any registered CC would earn points.

vickers and uggboy like this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the quick posting which made it less clear than it could have been.
    Not knowing which hotel and restaurant the OP was asking about, one general way of earning HHonors points for dining is to join this program with any CC card other than using a co-branded HHonors card.
    That is of course assuming the restaurant in question is a merchant member of the Hilton HHonors™ Dining program which I agree may not always be the case.

It seems to me that the OP's parents would likely pay for the meal and they do not have a co-brand card that earns rewards so if OP was to register his parent card to the Hilton HHonors™ Dining program, then in future, not just the upcoming meal could potentially earn OP HHonors points.

uggboy likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The winning strategy is to just get a HHonors co-branded CC. One doesn't need to even think about it; points would flow in from various activities, including dining at HHonors properties where the earnings are maximal...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    uggboy, Counsellor and WilliamQ like this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cannot argue with that. Now if only they launch one for Singapore. :)

uggboy likes this.
  9. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone. The hotel is in the states and the restaurant itself does not participate in any of the dinning programs. I will just decide between the Hilton Amex and the SP.

WilliamQ likes this.