Any way around late booking penalty when redeeming with miles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by nonstopski, Nov 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any way around a late booking penalty when redeeming miles for a flight? I have a bit of a family emergency and was just wondering.

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Generally no, but some airlines will offer a fee waiver on a case by case basis. UA offered me $150 of my $200 change fee back when I had to cancel a recent trip due to a family member in the hospital.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  3. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly my need. Interesting. Potentially a dumb question- but I can redeem my miles for a person flying that's not in my name, correct? It sure looks like I can but wanted to be extra sure, as I never have, actually with American Airlines. Need to get a friend home tomorrow.

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, of course. As for getting around the fee: you might try to work out a trade with a friend who has elite status (and hence is exempt from fees), but you'd need to think about how to sweeten the deal from your side.

5. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    With AA you pay the ticketing fee if you are not traveling with them up to EXP. It could be CK is exempt though.