Any Upgrade Options on Codeshare ?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by piqaro, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. A friend has a UA Economy ticket, but all codeshare.

AMS-EWR on CO UA3xxx
    JFK-FRA on LH UA8xxx

Not sure of the booking code, but is it possible to stradle a *upgrade on this type of ITN ?

2. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, it is not possible to upgrade a codeshared flight on a *A upgrade. (I learned this from bitter experience.)

Given that one needs a B fare to upgrade anyway, your friend would be better off buying the "native" flights; I can't imagine there's much of a difference between fares given the code.

3. Thanks, that was my guess. I suspect if there are changes to this, it would be for competitive reasons.
    With Oil over $100, Airlines are in trouble again for now

4. It appears there might be a way on LH. Not entirely sure ;)
    I would try to do it using UA miles for the return on LH

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/cmn/generalinfo?nodeid=1818526&l=en#10

3. Upgrade awards

You can use your miles to fly in the next highest class with Miles & More upgrade awards on flights with Adria Airways, Air New Zealand, All Nippon Airways (ANA), Asiana Airlines, Austrian Airlines Group*, Condor, Croatia Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines*, Lufthansa*, SWISS, Singapore Airlines, TAP Portugal, Thai Airways International, United that have JP, NH, NZ, OZ, OS, DE, OU, LO, LH, LX, SQ, TP, TG and UA flight numbers.

All terms and conditions applicable to the ticket originally issued apply as well in connection with the booking of an upgrade award. An upgrade is only valid for the route designated or included in the ticket flight coupon. An upgrade certificate is valid for 12 months.

* You can also book your upgrade awards with these Miles & More airline partners online.
    3.1. Booking Terms and Conditions
    You can only book an upgrade award for the next highest service class.

To do so, you must have a flight paid for in full and booked via www.lufthansa.com or the Miles & More online platforms, or through the Miles & More Service Team. (only for an only booking with LH, OS, or LO flight numbers), for which the ticket has already been issued. All routes for which an upgrade is to be booked must be confirmed in advance in the number class.

Booking upgrade premiums requires that there are seats available for the particular flight dates for these awards.

An upgrade award is valid only for one flight segment (partial route).

Then United tells us:Systemwide Upgrades may still be exchanged for paper certificates that can be used on Lufthansa operated flights. For more information, visit Systemwide Upgrades. So I maybe will go for the swap if I can

How to use them​

Systemwide Upgrades are the only complimentary upgrade that offer you the comfort of premium travel to any United® or United Express® destination worldwide.​

Buy an eligible ticket on United, United Express or Lufthansa

For United or United Express flights, request an upgrade when you book your flight, or anytime up to two hours prior to departure.

You can also sponsor an upgrade—that is, upgrade another person even if you are not traveling together.​

For Lufthansa flights, a paper upgrade certificate must be presented upon check-in on the day of departure. Call Mileage Plus customer service at least 14 days prior to your travel at 1–800–421–4655 to order this certificate, and it will be mailed to you.
    For Lufthansa flights, a paper upgrade certificate must be presented at check-in on the day of departure.
    If upgrade seats are available, we will confirm you at the time of request; if not, you’ll be put on a wait list.
    The upgrade wait list is prioritized based on Mileage Plus status, booking code and time of purchase.

lv2trvl likes this.
  5. dwhotz
    Original Member

dwhotz Silver Member

Status Points:
    What if it's the other way around? My fiance has a UA operated, LX marketed flight IAD-GVA. A friend has offered her SWUs to upgrade. Is it possible to use them?

piqaro likes this.
  6. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    The UA flyerguide wiki (via FT) suggests that she can use them, but can only upgrade on the day of travel.

piqaro likes this.
  7. Wondering if we will be able to use UA SWUs on CO soon, or maybe we already can ?
    I need to burn some :p

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not anymore, but until 2 weeks ago CO's B fares, particularly to Asia, were VERY competitive compared to those from UA.

mht_flyer and piqaro like this.
  9. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not unless the sponsor is able to go to the airport at check in. Codeshares can only be upgraded day of flight and not online requiring the sponsor to be there in person

Jeff

piqaro likes this.
  10. I am watching International fares go berserk. I am sure its based on $100 a barrel oil.

11. They all see to do this day of departure thing. Its certainly risky for the traveller.
    I can swap a SWU for LH paper, but I think its unlikely my friend would get the upgrade.
    Its not worth finding out at the airport that she didn't get it.
    The primary reason for the upgrade was the additional baggage :)

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the case of the CO B fares not at all. They changed their B fares to align with what UA charges. That's all.

13. pseudosphere
    Original Member

pseudosphere Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's difficult, but possible. Since you can only upgrade on the day of the flight, the sponsor either has to be able to go to the airport, or I've heard of someone getting the "bluey" (authorization form) in advance to submit on the day of the flight to sponsor the upgrade. YMMV on the second method, but if the sponsor can't make it to the airport, it's worth a shot.

14. dts
    Original Member

dts Silver Member

Status Points:
    I vaguely remember a rule that you can only use a SWU on a LH-operated flight if it is also LH-marketed. I searched .bomb and I didn't see any mention of this in the SWU rules. Is my memory failing me?

15. lv2trvl
    Original Member

lv2trvl Silver Member

Status Points:
    What surprised me about the Miles & More *A upgrade charts (there is a separate one for United flights) is that it allows upgrades from fares other than Y/B, though for very steep rates. It seems I haven't followed the M&M program as carefully as I should have.

Star Alliance Chart
    United Chart

And then, from the following:

Terms and Conditions

"Special upgrade terms and conditions

4.3.1 For Lufthansa, Adria Airways, Air Canada, Air China, Air Dolomiti, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian Airlines Group, Brussels Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Continental Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, Luxair, SAS Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, TAM, TAP Portugal, Thai Airways International, Turkish Airlines, US Airways, SWISS and Condor*
    • On Condor, Miles & More upgrades from Economy Class to Premium Economy Class (booking classes Y, O, Z) and upgrades from Premium Economy Class to Comfort Class are not possible. Only upgrades from Economy Class (no booking class is excluded) to Comfort Class are possible. The values contained in column B, Y apply.
    • On Luxair, upgrades are only possible for bookings in booking classes M, Y and K.
    • Upgrades on Brussels Airlines are only possible on bookings made in the booking classes Y, B, M, H, K, Q***, T**, V***, W***.
    • Upgrades with LH, JP, EN, OS, OU, LO and LX are not possible for some particularly favourable offers.

On European flights, this applies to the following booking classes with:
      - Adria Airways (JP) E, G, K, L, T, U
      - Austrian Airlines Group (OS) L, O, T, U, N
      - Croatia Airlines (OU) E, L, T
      - SWISS (LX) E, L, P, T
      - Lufthansa (LH) and Air Dolomiti (EN) E, L, T
      - LOT Polish Airlines (LO) L, W, O, S****

On intercontinental flights, this applies to the following booking classes with:
      - LOT Polish Airlines (LO) L, W
      - SWISS (LX) E, P, T, W
      - Austrian Airlines (OS) K, L, T, O, U, N
      - Lufthansa (LH), Adria Airways (JP), Air Dolomiti (EN) and Croatia Airlines (OU) L, S, W, U
    • Upgrades within Europe for domestic flights are only possible on connecting flights in combination with upgrades on intercontinental flights and are already included in the miles for the upgrade of the intercontinental flight.
    • For upgrades with Condor, Adria Airways, Croatia Airlines or Luxair, paper certificates (valid for up to 12 months) are issued, hence upgrade bookings with these airlines must be made at least four working days prior to departure.
    • For US Airways (US), upgrades are only possible for bookings in booking classes J and P.
    • Further detailed information regarding SWISS upgrades is available on www.miles-and-more.com.
    • Upgrades with Air New Zealand (NZ), ANA (NH), Asiana Airlines (OZ), Air Canada (AC), Air China (CA), Continental Airlines (CO), SAS Scandinavian Airlines (SK), Singapore Airlines (SQ), TAM (JJ), TAP Portugal (TP), Thai Airways International (TG) and Turkish Airlines (TK) are possible from Economy booking classes Y and B. (With SK and SQ, upgrades are also possible from booking class S, with NH and NZ also from class E and with NZ classes O and U as well). If a First Class seat is available, upgrades are also possible from Business booking classes C and D with these airlines (and from classes J and Z as well with NH and SQ). On Turkish Airlines an upgrade to First Class is only possible on intercontinental flights.
    • Only paperless upgrades (eUpgrades) are possible.
    4.3.2 For United

• With United, it is possible to upgrade from Economy booking classes Y, B, M and H on international flights, and on selected domestic US flights from booking classes E, M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, K and L. It is also possible to upgrade from Business booking classes C and D to First Class.
    • eUpgrades are possible for upgrades from classes C, D, Y and B. For upgrades from other booking classes, a paper certificate (valid for up to 12 months) must be issued. Hence the booking must be made at least seven working days in advance. An upgrade booking can be swiftly processed up to four working days prior to departure, for a charge.
    * Upgrades are only possible with the stated airline partners. Eligibility is determined by the flight number of the operating carrier.

** only on European routes

*** only on routes to Africa

**** only on domestic flights

piqaro likes this.
  16. It is appealing to me to have the option of swapping a SWU for LH. It just needs to be done far ahead.
    In most cases, if I try to upgrade; it is on the return segment. This being that I am tired and am more interested in comfort at that time :p