Any ultralights or tablets with 750GB or larger hard drive?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gargoyle, Jul 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I need to keep a large collection of images with me when traveling, since I never know which ones I need to pull up for client meetings or design reference. I also keep my laptops for about 3 or 4 years, so I want to allow space for future growth. I've had good experience with Lenovo X series.

It seems all tablets use small SSD's, and I'm having trouble finding any ultralight laptops with over 500 GB hard drives. I can't depend on cloud storage, since that entails depending on reliable, fast cheap internet connections... those don't exist in many places. Carrying a separate removable drive undermines the whole point of a small ultralight.

Note I also do a lot of photo editing/graphic design on the laptop, so I need lots of ram.

Anything out there that fits the bill?

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The IdeaPad U410s come with the option for up to 1TB and 4GB of RAM, plus a decent GPU. It's 4 pounds though so it's not really "ultra" light, but that's the price you pay for decent hardware :)

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    best bet, yes, but I want to avoid one more item to keep track of and not misplace. :)

edekba likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    OK, I'm looking at these two. Anyone have experience with either?

I've had good luck with Lenovo, but unsure about the twist. I have no sense for the quality of Sony; I'm concerned that in many things that company tends to be proprietary, not adhering to standards. Both are in the 3.5 to 3.8 lb range. (the Ideapad s410 is at least 4.2 lbs, and a 14" screen makes it more awkward for me to tote around)

Lenovo Thinkpad Twist s230U, 12.5" screen, i7 processor, 500gb 7200 rpm cpu, 8 gb ram. Long battery life (7 hr), but the battery is not replacable- does that mean that in two or three years it dies?
    Windows 8

Sony SVS1313BGXB, 13.3" screen, i7 processor, 750 rpm cpu, 12 gb ram, 5 hour battery life
    Windows 7