Any success using Yapta?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Aditya Vyas, Dec 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have only used yapta twice over the years was wondering if any Mpers had any success story using Yapta site? If so whats the best deal if you received?

alohastephen likes this.
  2. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    For those of us who do not know what Yapta is: ;)

http://www.yapta.com/

Yapta email alerts let you know when prices drop and when to buy to save money on airfare.

If the price of your flight drops below what you paid, Yapta helps you get a refund for the difference.

PedroNY and Aditya Vyas like this.
  3. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Than
    Thanks alohastephen

alohastephen likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember signing up for yapta years ago and never got any alerts.

5. andy12

andy12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've used Yapta solely for jetBlue tickets, with reasonable luck.

Most recently, on a JFK-MCO-DCA/IAD-JFK flight, it alerted me to a drop of $162 and after I got that credit, it alerted me soon-after to another $90 drop.
    Back in May, I also had a JFK-SMF-JFK flight which dropped $185 and once again, it alerted me.

The alerts seem to come very timely. The only complaint I have is the website isn't always up-to-date on policies. For example, on jetBlue, my tickets are booked through a corporate travel agency. Yapta tells me I have to go through the agency to get the credit - this is not true. I need to call jetBlue and ask them to take over the ticket and reissue it. The travel agency can't do it. Another area where it is not accurate is where it says that jetBlue does not sell refundable fares - they do.

alohastephen likes this.
  6. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    ..sometimes it sends alerts..

I used to send them emails then the price dropped and yapta shows the price dropped (as it doesn't refresh 24/7) and it also shows that no alert was sent. Initially they used to reply with some gibberish but never addressing why the alert wasn't sent or that they'd try to address the issue, now they don't even bother replying.

Even though it's not perfect, it doesn't cost anything (but time) to use, so I still use it, I just don't rely upon it.

alohastephen likes this.
  7. andy12

andy12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never had this problem (but then again, I'm using jetBlue who doesn't charge a reticketing fee). When it didn't notify you of a fare drop - is that because the reticketing fee on the carrier (typically $150 for the legacies) would have exceeded the savings - because I think it is only designed to alert once the fare drop crosses any reticketing fee.

Also, under YAPTA settings, at the very bottom of the settings page, there is a notification threshold - mine is set for $5, but you might want to check yours as well - maybe it is set to a higher amount.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used them when they were new and got a few refunds on UA. Then UA caught on to people actually using this successfully and changed their policy to require a refund fee for price drops and that made the whole thing pointless. Never used it again.

9. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been told it's designed both for those who have already purchased a ticket as well as those waiting for price drops before making purchase. I've spoke with them about alerts for movements up or down, but they said it was only built for price drops and low on the list for a future enhancement is allowing announcements for price increases.

Funny, none of the replies from Yapta even mentioned this, maybe hey did some DD and saw the movements were more than my settings or maybe they just forgot themselves, but at any rate, good thing to point out to other users.

10. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used Yapta and I thought the service was pretty valuable. The last time I used it was for a trip to Hawaii that I booked on Alaska. I used Yapta after I purchased the ticket to let me know when the fare dropped. Alaska will credit you the difference when the fare drops if you book through their website. Yapta tracked the price for me and I ended up getting credits worth $200. I plan on using that savings to book another flight to Hawaii in 2012.

11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Used them when they were just starting but had no luck what so ever. Have not used them for a long time.

12. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since I'm not based in the US I only used Yapta's hotel price comparison. Unfortunately they sold that to Kayak.

13. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how long ago they made the update, but in my Inbox I had a notice on when a fare went UP (not just dropped)