Any Solar Flare Flying Stories?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by anng3, Mar 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Down on the ground I have seen huge strong ocean white caps and also 2 steady lights in the sky that I have been told are planets. Told they have nothing to do with the solar flares but after 4 years of looking at the same night sky never saw them before so don't know if I'm buying that the solar flares have nothing to do with them. Anyone flying during this time have anything to report?

mht_flyer likes this.
  2. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, so those two bright lights you are seeing in the western sky are actually Jupiter and Venus (Jupiter being above Venus). A few days ago, you would have seen a line of three lights, the moon being in the middle. What you cannot see yet is Mercury, which will be lower to the horizon but along the extended line starting at Jupiter in a few days. Uranus and Saturn are also part of this planetary alignment, and if you have a half decent telescope you will be able to see Saturn's rings. Also, Mars in visible in the eastern sky close to the horizon. It's a great month for planet gazing, and this is quite the most interesting planetary alignment in the sky for quite some time. It probably means the Earth is about to end but YMMV.

TheBeerHunter and anng3 like this.
  3. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    2nd confirmation I got that they are Jupiter and Venus. Any special reason for being able to see them now?

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  4. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a combination of orbital location, distance from the sun, albedo (a measure of the ability to reflect light) and planetary diameter. Put simply, Earth, Jupiter and Venus just happen to be in the right place at the right time for us to enjoy the view.

anng3 likes this.
  5. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great explanation. I did enjoy the view.

6. anng3
    Original Member

anng3 Silver Member

Status Points: