Any Rumors of Alliances

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by Misplaced Texan, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm only an occasional WN traveller but have a colleague who swears by them.

Lately when I bring up my ability to redeem my legacy carrier miles for international premium travel, he responds that RR 2.0 is a prelude to WN signing alliances with international carriers that will allow for similar redemptions.

Has anyone here heard even a whisper of such rumors?

2. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    All rumors at this point.

I'd love to see WN expand on codeshare agreements. I doubt they ever officially join an alliance though.

Sucks they no longer codeshare with WestJet. I like the Volaris codeshare and have taken advantage of it.

If WN starts service to Hawaii as some have speculated, I expect them to mainly focus on getting people into HON. Maybe they can codeshare with IslandAir to get passengers to the other islands.

3. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    That seems to be rampant speculation on your co-worker's part. Southwest has not been specific about its international redemption options with RR 2.0, except that you are using a travel agency to redeem points and must have a Southwest credit card. I have read that it is believed that it will be 120 points for each dollar of international travel, which is not a very good redemption rate.

4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I imagined it was something like that.