Any recourse for blatant stupidity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, May 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife flew with our 16 month old baby ORD-LGA on delta and we did curbside checkin (tipping the idiot $10) and then he put the bag on the wrong flight! So my wife has to wait 2 hours with a tired baby because these idiots can't do the one thing they're supposed to do! Is there anything do besides filling out the form?

2. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering that these folks don't actually work for Delta, I'm not sure why you used them in the first place? If anything, walking a bag inside will save you $10.

The answer: ask them to refund your bag fee, if you paid one. Otherwise? Drop it - you've let them know and they'll address it if they feel the need to (this may be in their acceptable error rate). There's nothing Delta can or will do beyond that, as the folks at the curb don't work for Delta.

MX, LETTERBOY and tulane09 like this.
  3. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Tricky situation because as Mike points out (though most are unaware), no all outside baggage attendants are airline employees. I do recall in my early "training days" as a traveler that one of the veteran travelers i occasionally traveler with would always pick up and look at the baggage identifier that had been attached to his luggage and when i asked him why he did that each and every time he just pointed and said "just checking their work to make sure it's going to the right place...". I know that impressed me but i never did pick up that habit.

Never easy traveling with a child and this proves that out. My guess, and it's strictly a guess, is that even filling out the paperwork wouldn't do much good other than having the stroller re-routed to where you are somewhere down the line.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or fill out the form, tell the baggage services people where to deliver the bag and move on. It'll get to you eventually.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

I have used them a few times when the line inside was out the door. In pre-status days or with an airline where I didn't have status, I don't recall. It was 10 years ago.

I know they are not employees of the airline (but I would bet cash 95% of occasional travelers won't know), but the airline obviously grants them access to their computer systems. And they presumably also let them collect bag fees, right? So what exactly is the relationship between the skycaps and the airlines?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Independent contractor. That the guy isn't a direct employee of the airline has nothing to do with his ability to properly tag a bag. It also is not clear if the bag was mis-tagged or if it wasn't loaded on the plane for some other reason, such as weight & balance issues (though I am not sure how often that happens on the E70s). But I know for certain that the guy out at the curb (or the agents at the check-in counters) at ORD are not the ones who actually put the bags on the plane or not. Maybe it fell off the sort belt. Maybe the TSA held it for more inspection and it missed the flight. Maybe a lot of things.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

Or with the responsibility for the bag's loss/delay ultimately being the airline's, I assume. As a passenger I don't particularly care about the contractual agreements between the airline and its employees and contractors if a mistake is made.

And yes, big if/where... there are many ways the bag could have gotten lost or delayed. The first step to prevent this is to double-check that the right tag gets attached to the bag. After that the bag goes into the bowels of the airport and neither the pax nor the agent/skycap has any further control over the path it takes.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best advice is not to use the curbside baggage handlers. They are one extra possibility of someone committing an act of stupidity. Much better to take the luggage in personally and have one less moron in the equation.

LETTERBOY and webdes03 like this.
  9. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you're saying he incorrectly tagged it to the wrong destination? That curbside checkin agent a: doesn't work for Delta, and b: has absolutely nothing to do with loading your bag on the plane. If he mistagged it, that's one thing (possibly even security implications), and I'd probably call the Delta station manager of the airport in question (who would more correctly be able to consult the vendor that provides those services). A letter or request to Delta customer service may get your bag fee refunded (if you paid one), but that's as far as it would go. There is an 'acceptable error rate' on these things, but speaking to the station manager may get it looked at more closely than just calling or writing to general Delta customer service.

If the bag was misloaded by the ground crew, or held for other reasons (such as a delay in TSA screening, or weight and balance -- as Wandering Aramean suggested) then you're flat out blaming the wrong guy who wasn't even involved.

I never really understood the whole curbside checkin process. AA is the only airline at RDU that still offers that service. It seems crazy to me in the days of online checkin and painless bag drop. It just seems like another variable that gets added to the mix. When I think curbside checkin all I can ever picture is that scene in Home Alone where they show up crazy late to the airport, and curbside checkin somehow gets all of their stuff processed quick enough to make the plane.

LETTERBOY and marcwint55 like this.
  10. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    (bolding mine), always painless or just with your experiences? It hasn't always been painless for me (lines, wait) even as an elite at ORD.

I rarely use curbside as we rarely check bags but on a recent ORD run to drop of my sis-in-law for a flight, $2 tip to the curbside guy (no line) to take her bag for her and she's heading inside w/her preprinted boarding pass, done, easy.

Voodard and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  11. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Full disclosure, I don't typically check a bag... maybe 10 times a year out of 60-ish trips. That said, on the occasions that I have, it has been painless. That's on a spread of about 70% UA, 20% US, 10% DL.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the old days before bags were computerized in airline systems, tipping the curbside guy well could enable to check several free bags above your allowance. When a friend of mine was a student moving home at the end, she managed SIX extra bags for $20, which I always thought was very impressive. I did it a few times to a lesser extent when I was moving to a summer job and needed to bring a bunch of apartment stuff and books in addition to clothes and personal things.