Any recommendations for banks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rakuten06, Jun 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Rakuten06

Rakuten06 Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm considering a switch from a local bank to a nationwide bank because I need to go anywhere and deposit or withdraw money without paying a fee like I did when I withdrew money from an ATM of another bank in Washington, DC because my bank is only local in Vermont.

Any best recommendations for a nationwide bank for me to join and sign up for a checking account?

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chase, but you may find the checking fees higher than the local guys.

They will give you a few Ben Franklins for opening an account...

3. Rakuten06

Rakuten06 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the recommendation, but won't help... no banks in Washington, DC for Chase. Closest bank is in Wilmington, Delaware :(

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might consider UFB Direct. Their basic (free) checking account includes full reimbursement for all domestic ATM fees.

There is no minimum balance to avoid fees and I think there is no limit to the amount of ATM withdrawals they will reimburse for. And, their debit card offers AA miles (0.5 miles/$1.0 spend), a nice tool to have for quick MS!

Their signup procedures are a bit cumbersome - but I've found their customer service to be exemplary.

https://www.ufbdirect.com/

You might also consider First Republic Bank. Again, they won't have branches in many spots, but they also cover 100% of domestic ATM fees. I've used FRB as my primary bank since 2005 and have been nothing but thrilled.

https://www.firstrepublic.com/

Both offer free iphone/ipad deposit, and FRB gives you postage-paid envelopes to mail deposits if you prefer.

Sammich likes this.
  5. cocobird

cocobird Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might also look into a credit union that works with as association of other credit unions. For instance, Alliant Credit Union is headquartered in Chicago, has branches in several states, but basically allows you to use 80,000 ATMs nationwide without charge to withdraw money. You can open the accounts online or by mail. In addition, many of the ATMs permit deposits too. There is another group of credit unions that permit you to deposit and withdraw funds for free at other credit union offices as well as ATMs across the nation. I'm not familiar with credit unions in your area, so you'd need to investigate that yourself. Just be aware that these exist and provide the kind of flexibility you seek.

6. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bank of America has DC locations and is nationwide.

7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had all my accounts at a local credit union, but once Wells Fargo acquired my mortgage, I moved my accounts over to them so I could get the relationship bonuses.

Do you have a mortgage with any banks that offer such a bonus?

8. janetadams

janetadams New Member

Status Points:
    I recommend you The Swiss Bank, but a little risk..

9. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    ^Most of them don't accept American clients now unfortunately due to FACTA.