Any recent experience wit Turkish Airlines Business Class?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by healinginfluence, Feb 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. healinginfluence

healinginfluence Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am planning to travel from IAD to Tel Aviv in April and Turkish Airlines has a reasonable ticket to buy. Redemption options with United or USAirways either weren't available or required many points.

So I wanted to ask if anyone has flown the airline in international B-class and what it is like.

2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The food is quite good on TK flights in business class. The seats on their 77W's are true lie-flat and quite comfortable. I believe that the seats on their A330's & A340's are all angled lie-flat, so those are somewhat less comfortable for sleeping. Service is generally OK. The IST airport is bursting at the seams from growth, so there can sometimes be lines for transfer security or immigration. The TK lounge at IST is awesome. If you have a layover there, you will enjoy it.

Flying Bat and healinginfluence like this.
  3. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have received a lot of positive comments from clients that Turkish business class is an excellent product. given an economy that's doing well, a superior operational national airline is a decent badge as an advertisement for the country.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Make sure to visit lounge in IST.

5. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whenever I check for TK using Star Alliance miles, it seems to be rarely available. Some might take this as a sign that they are selling a decent number of revenue tickets.

healinginfluence likes this.
  6. healinginfluence

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback. I bought the ticket and am spending three nights at the W at Instanbul on the way over. I'm using points and dollars. Pretty good deal.

I'm learning where the values are for me given that I don't have many miles and only travel a few times a year.

The hotel programs - especially Hyatt and Starwood - seem the easiest redemptions and reasonable value. United not easy so far. Not many flights at reasonable mileage levels so far in my limited experience

Thanks again for the help.

Flying Bat likes this.
  7. healinginfluence

Status Points:
    One comment here: At least for the dates I checked TK's business class fare from IAD was significantly lower than the competition. If this is generally true (which I don't know) that may explain why there are so few seats available for award travel.

Flying Bat likes this.
  8. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not long after posting I had reason to check TK, for NW Europe onward to Abu Dhabi. I found seats, so that's a good thing, but a 7 hour wait @ IST, not such a good thing.

9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually it is a sign that TK does not make much award inventory available for partners. But TK often has busines class sales.

Do be aware, that TK paid flight does not earn much credit on UA. No fare class PQM premium, no Premier bonus, some discounted fares don't earn any credit at all.

Flying Bat likes this.
  10. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check availability out of IAH...often available.

bez7 likes this.
  11. checho.cosio

checho.cosio New Member

Status Points:
    I use TK a lot especially from Central Asia to the Americas. Although I have flown with more than 20 airlines, Turkish is well above them. I am not sure about the other but Premium and business class have no rival. I highly recommend it. You will be 1000% satisfied. I hope you fly with them...

healinginfluence and Highlander like this.
  12. Highlander

Highlander New Member

Status Points:
    I commonly choose THY all over Europe destinations. Seats are wide enough and the food is excellent. Nowadays there is homour running arond about the new uniforms of staff. Wait and see.

13. savingrace

savingrace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been checking UA site for Den-Dar. There are plenty of TK flights from IAD to IST. Unfortunately, very few 777's. I just don't think I could do the angled seat for those long flights, or I would be booking in a minute. Hard to get to DAR.

Also, regarding layovers in IST, all international transit passengers on TA can get free tours of the city. TA even pay museum fees. I would love to spend a day there.

healinginfluence likes this.
  14. healinginfluence

Status Points:
    Thank for this post. This is the first I have heard of the free tour. May I ask where you saw this? I bought the ticket on TK so I reckon I am eligible.

15. savingrace

savingrace Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the homepage, bottom right, click on TourIstanbul. If you can't get to the home page, click on the red Turkish Airlines at the top of the page.

And don't miss Hagia Sophia, one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen.

16. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    A
    Africa can be hard. Consider looking to JRO or NBO and getting a Precision Air flight.

17. deewana

deewana New Member

Status Points:
    business class at turkish airlines is excelent! i allways use it.. Food is awesome and delicious.. planes are clean and confortable, use it and you will not regret

18. bartla

bartla Silver Member

Status Points:
    Garp74 likes this.