Any reason to keep my Citi AAdvantage Visa?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DCtrAAveler, Sep 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the change to the Million Miler program coming in Dec. so that only BIS mileage counts, I'm wondering if there's any need to keep open my Citi AA Visa account. I'm EXP and will be working to maintain that next year, so I'll already have 100% bonus RDM on all of my flying, and my partner is also EXP, so there's no real use for the companion ticket voucher - I don't travel with anyone else. Am I overlooking something that might make me want to keep the card? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the goal of the card was to earn miles towards MM, then probably not, if you have other credit cards that you can use instead. I am giving up my card, and switching to the new Citi AAdvantage Executive mastercard, so I can continue to earn miles that count towards MM for another year. Then next December, I will probably swap out that credit card for another card that will earn me miles elsewhere - probably Marriott, so I can aim for lifetime Plat on Marriott.

DCtrAAveler likes this.
  3. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I definitely have other cards I can use. I thought about the new Executive card, but with my AMEX Platinum I don't feel the need except for the additional year of mileage earning. The Amex gets me into the Admirals Club, while also allowing the flexibility of other lounges as well. With that and the other benefits, I can't see replacing it with the AA Exec. card, and two cards with $400+ fees is a non-starter. I may look at one of the hotel cards. Thanks for your opinion.

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm likely to drop mine and switch to my SPG Amex. I can still get good redemption for RDM, and with award/C+P stays counting now, can use points there as needed, too.

JohnDeere19 and DCtrAAveler like this.
  5. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a poor slob with no status in AAdvantage and one of the first thoughts that came to my mind when the they changed the Million Miler program was that now I wouldn't be much needing my Citi AAdvantage card. Guess I'm not the only one who figured that out.

6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I am Lifetime Platinum and fly nowhere near enough to get EXP even for one year. So I don't hold my credit cards because of any additional Million Mile possibilities, but rather simply for the miles.

What you might be missing, with a little exaggeration I will explain below, is called Hawaii first-class at Christmas for $85 per person (plus $10 TSA tax).

From my perspective, my two AAdvantage credit cards (Citi Signature MasterCard and Citi Select Amex,) for a total fee of $85 a year, seem to help me greatly. If I put virtually all my spending, for everything, on them -- and pay them off in full monthly to avoid interest charges -- it is not uncommon to come up to 35 or 40K miles a year at a mile-per-dollar-charged rate, for an eighty-five dollar annual fee.

Between occasional promotions Citi runs for 1.2 or 1.5 miles per dollar spent, and Aadvantage dining when we would have been going out to restaurants anyway, and other occasional non-flight deals, it is quite possible therefore to get to 50,000 miles a year without even counting flight miles.

In other words, what you may be overlooking is that you could get a free Milesaaver lower-48 first-class RT by keeping your credit card, and occasional cake-walk bonuses that come along, all for a two-figure annual credit card fee.

Or, do what I have done for seven straight Christmases now and add to that 50 K with a modest number of miles from a flight or two, or purchased miles, and spend 75K for a Yuletide first-class trip to Hawaii. I really couldn't have done this for seven straight years without the credit cards. So yes, these cards can help even without qualifying you for a Million Miler plateau.

PS #1 -- Of course the above trick gets only one person to Hawaii for Christmas, not two. But spouses, companions and partners can use the same trick with their spending and maybe get a second ticket that way.

PS #2 -- Before anyone asks is first-class Milesaaver to HNL at Christmas is really only a pipe-dream. . .it isn't, and for seven straight years we've made it work. Usually requires booking 11 months out, and some creativity, flexibility and patience, but it *can* be done. I'm living proof, x 7 years! Each year I keep saying it is the last year it will work, and then, it works again!

2soonold and tom911 like this.
  7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you're not going to build up AA flight miles any longer? Isn't that the reason for having one of their credit cards? It would seem to me that if you have no status those miles would be a lot more valuable to you versus someone that does have status and builds them up faster with a combination of flying and charging.

Or are you planning on accruing AA miles with some other card?

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. impsycho

impsycho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll keep my AA World Elite MC until Dec 2012 and then change to another card. Below is the quote from AA regarding credit card miles toward MM program.

Also, as a limited time offer, one mile for every dollar spent on eligible purchases using the new Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World Elite™ MasterCard® credit card*** that post to billing statements through December 2012 will count toward Million Miler status*. The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World Elite™ MasterCard® credit card account must be open and in good standing by December 1, 2011.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I believe the OP is talking about the regular visa AAdvantage card, not the new one that offers LT miles till 2012.

10. impsycho

impsycho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Understood and thanks - I don't have the new Citi Executive SM card but the AA World Elite MC. I need look closer at the fine print to see if I'll continue to earn miles.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Isn't it the Citi Executive/AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard: LINK? So they're the same card.

The Citibank credit cards will all still give AAdvantage miles for redemption, you just won't earn LT status miles on any card except the World Elite after Dec 2011. The World Elite card will offer LT miles until Dec 2012 currently.

12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I currently have two personal Citi AAcards and one business. I intend to keep one personal card for 3 reasons.
    1- It's easy to get the fee waived by calling Citi's retention department. Usually they off the $85 credit if you use the card 5 times. So, the card is free.
    2- I intend to retain the oldest of my three cards because that looks better on my credit report, while dropping the two cards that are less than a year old.
    3- With the card I have the option to use their reduced mileage awards:
    https://creditcards.citi.com/reward...antage-reward-program-reduced-mileage-awards/

2soonold likes this.
  13. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the wallet, sock drawer, or cancel.
    Right now the card is in my wallet. Before the change, I had imagined that 10 years from now the card would be in my sock drawer. But after the change, I suspect that card will be cancelled sometime in the next 5 years.
    I have no status. This thread was interesting to me because it appears that others who do have status are coming to the same conclusion about the Citi AAdvantage card.
    I'm not really thinking about accuring AAmiles with some other card. I am a senior citizen with specific travel goals to be accomplished in a limited time frame. I'm going to buy travel even if I get zero miles for it. What I'm looking for are loyalty programs that encourage me to buy travel with their company; rather than encourage me to consider spending my money with one of their competitors.

miles and smiles likes this.
  14. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately they didn't release the World Executive MasterCard here in Brazil, so as of Nov.8 I'll cancel my Visa AAdvantage Credit Card. I'll be using the GOL Airlines Credit Card which gives me 2 points for Airtickes and 1.5 for anything else, when the Citi AA card I have now gives me only 1.3 per dollar spent.

15. impsycho

impsycho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll need to check. My annual fee is around $85 not the $450.

16. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I cancelled my Citi AABusiness card just yesterday but will keep the personal one for a short while longer as I'm within 15% or so of miles needed for a nice international J award. Otherwise, I'm bupkis on AA.

17. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are in the same boat, about to cancel our Citi cards. I can't really see that they offer much value. I'm never going to get premium status on AA and I am disappointed that they never have promos offering double points for spending etc.

I figure I can get better value spending on AMEX and transferring points elsewhere for my free flights.

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.