Any Q3, 2013 Promo?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by roadweary, Jul 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. roadweary

roadweary Silver Member

Status Points:
    I seem to be hearing crickets about a Q3 Hilton promo... or did anyone see something yet?

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. roadweary

roadweary Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great! Thanks for the heads-up.

uggboy likes this.
  4. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't start until July 9th, so start checking on the 8th.

I am not happy, because I accrued over 30,000 points last week and I am only going to get base, gold, and double dip points for my stay this week. Also lose the 2013 Delta miles and have no currently booked stays after the 9th at this time.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wah?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

uggboy likes this.
  6. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good promotion for Q3 (if the information is correct), for late start for some...

uggboy likes this.
  7. ConsultingChris

Status Points:
    No bonus points for this week's stay. Last week I got 14000 bonus points and will not get any until I have another stay during the next promotion.

uggboy likes this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay. It sucks to lose points, but the promo terms and dates for Q2 were well known. I guess my take is that sure, I'd love the points, but I didn't lose anything by not getting them outside the promo dates. Promos are, after all, promos.

Before you pounce on me, I'm having this same argument at work regarding promo pricing on products. The only reason we're running back to back promos is because doing so lets us sell for a lower price without actually changing the accounting price of the product in future years.

Gotta love math... and the effects it has on real-world situations. Hilton is probably in the same boat... trying to attract business, but not necessarily further dilute the brand/points while encouraging certain spend behavior.

Trust me, I just got out of an owners meeting at an HGVC affiliated resort we own at and the issue of RCI/HGVC/HHonors point transfer value came up.

uggboy likes this.
  9. ConsultingChris

Status Points:
    No real problem, but first world problem complaints.

I really don't select Hilton because of the bonuses, but they help pad the account for our next personal vacation.

uggboy likes this.
  10. ConsultingChris

Status Points:
    Link is now working at: http://www.hiltonhhonors.com/hh3_2013

Make sure that you check the non-participating list at http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/promotions/triple-your-trip/participating-hotels-list.html. It is causing quite a stir on TOBB. The good news is that there are a number of hotels in the areas I am staying that are on the non-participating list, but not the ones I am stay at the next few booked stays. :)

Looking at the list, many of the ones that are excluded in the areas I am traveling are near tourist destinations.

uggboy likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Roughly 700 hotels opted out. That seems like a lot to me.

12. ConsultingChris

Status Points:
    It does. Hope it is not the trend moving forward for Hilton promos or I might be slinking back to Marriott.

uggboy and Wandering Aramean like this.
  13. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is, and it seems that list has been slowly growing with each promotion.

uggboy and Wandering Aramean like this.
  14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd love to see Hilton put a brand requirement in place that non-participating hotels must post a sign at the front desk reading "This hotel is not participating in the Hilton HHonors Q3 Promo" (or whatever name the promo has). That would at least increase awareness and require GM's/owners to think twice.

In reality the non participating hotels either have enough business they don't need what the promo brings or the cost of participation is higher than their return.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or they figure they can reap most of the benefits from people booking them unaware of their nonparticipation.

16. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish the website would have a filter on the booking page to filter out non participating spots.

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No big complaint since zero property opted out south of the US border (not that there are that many), which is good because I have a stay booked at Hilton Buenos Aires for August. A few properties opted out in UK, but not Hilton Cardiff where I will be staying during the promo period.

This promo is identical to the Q3 promo of 2012, and then as now I was planning to stay at Hilton EZE and had derived a general formula for figuring out the points earned from the promo. If B is the number of base points earned for the stay, x the number of Mon-Thu nights and y the number of Fri-Sun nights then:

Total, excluding various bonuses = B + (x*B + 2*y*B)/(x+y)
    The part in blue is the earning from the promo and it is a lot simpler than Hilton's long derivation in the FAQs!

A HH Diamond who pays with an AMEX Surpass and has the points+points double-dipping option can add
    0.5B for Diamond Bonus
    0.5B for points+points double-dipping
    1.2B for 12points/$ AMEX Surpass Bonus (excluding [taxes * 12] points, which count!)
    500 points for AMEX CO Brand Bonus
    1000 points for Diamond MyWay.

Grand total = B + (x*B + 2*y*B)/(x+y) + 0.5B + 0.5B + 1.2B +1500 = 3.2B + (x*B + 2*y*B)/(x+y) + 1500

In brief, this is a good promo for those of us whose stays tend to extend over several days of the week.

uggboy and ConsultingChris like this.
  18. ConsultingChris

Status Points:
    I had to modify it a little to fit my status and card, but thanks for the thought put into deriving the formula. Calculating out my points put me at ease about an upcoming stay.

I might have enough nights this quarter to make this a very rewarding bonus.

uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Diamond options are selected to maximize the HH points that I get from every stay, as I do not care to earn miles from stays, which, in fact, pale in comparison to the miles that I get from doing long-haul trips as UA 1K.

ConsultingChris and uggboy like this.
  20. ConsultingChris

Status Points:
    I should be Diamond by the end of August, so that will help maximize my points in September. I didn't see the benefit and do get points on airlines when there is a bonus like there was for Delta last quarter.

uggboy likes this.
  21. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Made Diamond yesterday, came on time for next week' Europe trip.

desamo and ConsultingChris like this.
  22. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    pity, had a Hilton stay from 1-3 July, well, you win some, you lose some, i guess

23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tell me about it. I stayed at Hilton properties from June 28- to July 9, and just barely missed this promo!

ConsultingChris likes this.
  24. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    i stayed at the Hilton Odawara in Japan, fantastic property and treated very well as a HH Gold, family had a great time and enjoyed the pools tremendously, having the Hilton points would have been an icing on the cake, but the facilities and customer service at this hotel more than made up for the disappointment of having lost bonus points

25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Japan, ey? That is a coincidence. I too was just in Japan via Shanghai. In Japan, I first stayed at Hilton Osaka for 5 nights, where I was upgraded to a suite and pampered. From there it went greatly downhill after I took the bullet train and got to Hilton Tokyo for a 3-night stay. I requested a suite upgrade and was told that they had to ask the manager, who came out to repeatedly assure me that "Hilton Worldwide" policy is that suite upgrades are only for Diamonds who booked a premium room, completely oblivious to my telling him that I had just come from Osaka where I was upgraded to a suite from an identical room. He repeated "Hilton Worldwide" so much that I just walked off after telling him that this was a Hilton Tokyo policy, that he was giving "Hilton Worldwide" a bad name and that the next time I would just stay at the Hyatt, which is literally across the street. That must have gotten to him because he took my baggage from the boy who was to take it to my exec floor room, and carried it there himself (costing the boy a tip) and then insisted that I join him later in the exec lounge. I did not look him up after that but I will keep my promise to stay across the street the next time I am in the area...