Any of you newbies buying mint coins?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jmhuth, Jul 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't done this yet.....My main concern is that there will be an issue when I go to deposit the coins at the bank.... Does anyone have experience w/ this?

2. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just started purchasing coins and I was also apprehensive about the bank. I found a local credit union with a coin counting machine which makes it much easier. I use the machine which gives me a reciept that I then take to the Tellar for deposit. So far no glitches. With that being said, I am not buying a ton of these coins. I am also splitting deposits across two branches and only 1 deposit per week.

jmhuth and jmrich1432 like this.
  3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll love it at first, then you'll hate it when you're lugging them around on the weekends. Also, be careful...Chase closed my account without reason (but coins were the only thing I was using it for)...I now know better.

rharrigill and jmhuth like this.
  4. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only done a few purchases and I haven't had a problem yet. I try to go to the branches that I know aren't as popular and at times they won't be busy. I also make sure I have everything out of the boxes and ready to go. I leave the coins rolled because that seems to be the preference of the tellers at my bank. Only once have I had a teller ask me to unroll them. So far, I've only had one deposit per month ($1,000 each time). If I start buying more frequently I will save the deposits so I'm not going to the bank with each individual shipment.

Good luck!

jmhuth likes this.
  5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many Many of us use the coin program. But please, do not contact credit cards or debit card banks asking too many questions about it. In some cases when credit cards got wind of what was happening, they prevented some from using their acct to buy US mint coins. We just dont want someone spoiling it for the rest of us.

SC Flier, rharrigill and jmhuth like this.
  6. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    SC Flier likes this.
  7. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trust me, that is why I'm here... I know the golden rule to not contact cc card companies etc... I usually can find what I need here on on flyertalk!! Thanks for the tip though!

8. jmhuth

jmhuth Silver Member

Status Points:
    MyMiles&Points likes this.
  9. jpruzins
    Original Member

jpruzins Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I'd have trouble going to the bank. Both my mom and my brother offered to take some coins off my hands and deposit them and give me the cash. No problems at TD Bank. Though, brother said they made him put them in the coin counter machine (he was depositing other coins from his piggy bank, too).

10. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got my first order Thursday, took them to my local C.B. (where I had opened a checking account for the 20k AA miles.) on Friday. No problem, teller commented the coins were pretty.