Any MRs from Australia - Share your best Runs for Status Credits.

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by Pinkmoose, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pinkmoose
    Original Member

Pinkmoose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,
    I know of the typical MRs from Australia, specifically on the Qantas network. There is the SYD-AKL then returning on LAN Business. The *Class flights taken on Jet*, which are always good value, specially when they are on sale.
    These ones can be done on the weekend and do not require massive amounts of money

Also there is the trip to the US then take as many YUP/KUP fares around the US.
    This takes longer and also is more expensive.

If you are a QFF, then you can also have the typical JASA flights and try to turn all your FF points to SCs

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also feel free to share to tell us about all the MRs you have done from Australia.

Thanks,
    Pinkmoose.

Nicole Blaess-Smith likes this.
  2. I think you've capture pretty much all the best avenues, Pinkmoose. A couple more to throw in the ring are 1) CX ex TPE trips for both regional and international, and 2) BA offering cheap upgrades from discount economy to business fares (earn biz SC via I bucket) for European destinations. BA doesn't always offer the upgrade based on biz loadings so choose your flights carefully and/or with plenty of time up your sleeves.

I'd say YUP/KUP fares are best and many area available at <2 cents per status credit if you do your homework.

3. newformula
    Original Member

newformula Active Member

Status Points:
    One way I've found to (relatively) reliably get the BA Club Europe upgrades offered to me is to look at which flights have award availability prior to booking. 3 times out of 3 when doing this the BA online booking tool has then offered me the 100 euro/GBP upgrade. 100GBP is roughly 160AUD, and 40SC's at $4/SC isn't too bad. Certainly anything under $5/SC is worth considering IMO.

4. newformula
    Original Member

newformula Active Member

Status Points:
    PinkMoose - there's also the 'NAN run' ex MEL or BNE as it's affectionately known over on AFF. It's possible to get a heap of SC's by flying business on Air Pacific to Nadi (Fiji) and back.

Key Points
    • Air Pacific fares credit SC's to Qantas in a similar manner to Qantas' own flights (Qantas own ~49% of Air Pacific I believe)
    • Air Pacific offers some quirky routing options and ticket prices ex BNE & MEL around $600 for BNE-MEL-SYD-NAN in Business (180 SC's), and vv, or MEL-SYD-NAN (120 SC's). Pricing and availability varies, but it's pretty consistently available if booked far enough in advance and not at peak periods. Normally around $3.50/SC
    • You can have a stopover at the international gateway (SYD) so could split the BNE-MEL-SYD portion out from SYD-NAN if you wanted.
    • Sometimes Qantas offers similar pricing - if you're QF Platinum, buy it on the Qantas codeshare and you'll get access to the F lounge in Sydney (I wish)
    • This is bookable over on the FJ website
    You can explore Air Pacific runs to LAX via NAN in Business. It's possible to price up a SYD-NAN, NAN-LAX-NAN, NAN-SYD (connecting within a few hours at Nadi) for around $3500. A complete SYD-LAX rtn via NAN prices out around 6k so it's worth spltting up the ticket. Say $7.50ish/SC for 440 SC's rtn - not amazing but far more reasonable than on QF.

The final Air Pacific quirk is HKG-SYD via NAN one way - available for ~$1150 in Business on Thursdays and Saturdays. 220SC's - $5.20/SC.

Note - the only one of these I've actually *done* is HKG-SYD. The rest is via the reliable folks over at AFF.

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    LAN ex-AKL is much cheaper than ex-SYD.

Watch out for EK business sales. If NZ matches (most times they do) then QF will also, but doesn't advertise it. Note WLG is excluded from QF trans-tasman business class sales but AKL and CHC are included.