Any information, Please

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Rosalia, Oct 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    In general, some members get the Ambassador renewal at the beginning of October and others get it in April, etc...Has anybody, due in October, already received his Royal or Ambassador renewal?
    Thanks for the info.

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. There is an entry dated Sept.30 stating royal ambassador renewal and zero points awarded but that's all I've seen.

Date Posted
    |
    Activity Type
    |
    Description
    |
    Total Activity Earning

|​
    |​
    |​
    .​
    Sep 30, 2012​
    |​
    Other​
    |​

Royal Ambassador Renewal
    |​
    0 pts.​

3. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Guinnessxyz for the info. Was your 2012 Royal Amb membership valid till end of December 2012?

4. No, October 31/12

5. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    It means I still have hope since mine is due end of December 2012, but generally they always renewed on October 4. Did they by any chance change their policy this year?

6. I have no idea but it seems they did mine later last year.

7. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just depends on your renewal date and when you meet the criteria....

Probably around three IC hotels and 50 IC qualifying nights.

I am up in November, still need a third hotel.... Any suggestions for a quick break in November?

8. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    It has been brought up on Flyer Talk that the threshold has somewhat changed this year -- or at least the process has -- for re-qualification, due to a system upgrade that occurred over the summer at IHG.

First check for renewals are now happening max within 2 months of expiration -- not at the three month mark as had been the case. And it's unclear whether they're looking at your rolling 12 months since last renewal, or if they're just going back to your Amb year. So we're all going to have to bite our nails wondering whether we've met the imaginary "top 1%" mark longer than we have had to do previously.

I'm up in January. I always get renewed like clockwork the first Saturday of November. This year, however, it sounds like I'm not going to know until -- if I'm lucky! -- sometime in December or January.

9. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Monterey is great in the winter and The Clement is one of the best ICs. No club, unfortunately -- but the rooms are lovely and location is beautiful.

10. I've received a note on the activities page that my RA has been renewed and I only have 40 nights total IC stays in the calendar year but stayed at about 7 or 8 IC's some on multiple stays. If they count back from last november onward I might be close to the 50 nights but well over 20 of them in IC's.

Rosalia likes this.
  11. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Reports on FT say that some people are seeing what you are -- and that the "Royal Amb Renewal" reverts to "Amb Renewal" and they don't keep the RA status. Have you contacted PC to see whether you really were renewed or not, by chance?

12. I just got word that my RA renewal is official. My current RA card said Dec.expiry but my real date is October 31 (go figure) and I had over 20 nights in IC's and over 50 nights in total when the November December stays were counted. Haven't received the package yet but they said it has been mailed.

astraveln and TheBeerHunter like this.
  13. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations :)

14. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to clarify.... You had about 20 nights in IC's and 30 IHG stays for your total year?? This is your total of 50ish nights?

I am just trying understand and decifer the OZ behind the curtain...... thx!

15. man on the move.

Status Points:
    It also depends on how much you spend, what room class ....

I have have 1% letters, and not requaled, and had requal with mostly cp props.

Key message, do they value you?

16. I also had about 7 or 8 points and cash nights as well; not sure if thye count those towards anything.
    If you decifer OZ you can be the wizard.

astraveln likes this.
  17. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You will find very little rhyme or reason to what happens behind the curtain. You can't compare number of nights, as man on the move. says. Your "loyalty" (read: value proposition) is probably the most important factor.

astraveln likes this.
  18. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    Then why isnt approximate value, also part of the metric we are tracking to figure out the program. Ie Hilton does Nights, stays or dollar spend.(10k spend for diamond, get status automatically)

I would guess that IC's are similar, but if people truely are trying to figure this out, wouldnt that be pertinent as well. For Milepoint and Flyertalk....

As a wannabe Wizard, I digress.........

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  19. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You would think...but they want to maintain an air of mystery and intrigue, and this way too, they can futz with the "rules" when and how they see fit, without getting people too bent out of shape, since the "rules" were never published to begin with. Quite sneaky, don't you think?

astraveln likes this.
  20. BH I believe you have hit the nail on the head. when I enquired a few months back about my RA futre thye simply fudged the answer by saying they only look at the customer just prior to the current year's expiry and tha tthe 1% rule would apply. When I asked how they got to the 1% they, the RA, desk effectively told me its trade secret in so many words. I'm used to a lot of BS coming my way and that was shovelful's of it.

That being said I continue to have the RA status and get to stay in my favorite IC hotels over the coming months. I will be in HKG in November, YUL in November, FCO over Xmas, and London Park Lane over New year's. BKK and SIN in late January is being organized.

astraveln likes this.
  21. CescoAiel

CescoAiel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I travel a lot, but I cannot always chose IHG properties, which is what hurts me most! :( If I could just book IHG (and IC where available), I'd *easily* reach >3 IC and >50 IHG nights, but as is, I prolly have about 6 different IC's, but only some 30 IHG nights... :eek:
    The rest is in other chains, like Hilton, or hotels not part of a chain, simply due to the locations, and lack of IHG property in the ficinity...

I have spent almost 20 days in Istanbul in the last 2 months, and they do have an IC, but to get from there to Levent, where all the banks and major corporations are, takes more than an hour, up to two hours, even though it is only 10km or so, due to semi-permanent traffic congestion. So I was stuck in a boutique hotel, and later the Mövenpick. Nice hotels, but IC would've been better... Both because of the RA status, and for nights and points... :)

astraveln likes this.
  22. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    CescoAiel....your point is exactly my same problem. IC's are limited in many many cities, or missing. I try to figure out the system because Holidday Inn(HI) isnt on my list when there is a Hilton Next door. I want to keep the RA status, but dont want to be working in a bunch of HI nights to get there. I dont mind some but it wont be many!

I think alot of people struggle with IC for the very reason you and I listed. Lack of properties.... IF they would publish the damn formula, thne i would know exactly what i have to endure to retain or just let it go.... Although this is probably the main reason they keep it a secret!

23. man on the move.

Status Points:
    I am headed to dc next week, as I only have two hotels this year... And 90 IC nights.

My approach is to have a paid stay for 4 nights, and visa night for the fifth. But pay for the room with a pre-paid priority club Amex card. A $1000 card cost me 224,000 points after rebate, and I will get about 20,000 for the stay, so equivalent to using points for the stay, but we get full RA benefits!

TheBeerHunter likes this.
  24. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Some people consider the cards a bad use of points, but I won't use points for stays (I want my stays to be qualifying) so I have gotten some to use in the past precisely how you are. With the points rebate it's a better value. Certainly better than letting your points balance build while their value depreciates!