Any Idea How To Tell If A Specific A330 Has Lie-Flats?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Pizzaman, Jan 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm looking at some potential IAD-MUC flights for this summer. SeatGuru shows the flights as 180-degree lie-flats in J. SeatExpert shows slanted seats, but they also don't have a seat map with lie-flats for the A330 at all on LH, while SeatGuru has a lie-flat and a slanted-flat seat map.

I can't discern from the LH website how accurate the info on SeatGuru is. I'd sure appreciate any insight.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure that all the MUC A330s are new C and new F now. That means flat beds for you.

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks, Seth. I figured they had to be making progress on that. Not a very big fleet of A330s if my memory serves me right.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks, Seth. As you say, looks like from that thread all MUC-based 330s have the new C now.

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are 12 A333's based in FRA, 6 have new F and of these 6, 3 have new C. The other 6 are old F and old C. At least that's how I read it.

And I think all the A340's based on FRA are old F and old C. Sounds like that fleet will lose F when it gets new C.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that the 343s will go to 2-class as will the 744s. I believe the 346s are keeping F.
    [​IMG]

8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    They just installed their new F class on the 744's in the last year. Are they going to rip that out? Wow.

9. Yiannis K

Yiannis K Active Member

Status Points:
    The new C cl is in very few aircrafts at the moment!

LH call centres are able to check if the one assigned to your route has been retrofitted or not and this is possible 7-9 days before the flight.

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Just for giggles, here's a quick story from the LH phone call I just got finished with. I went to check status on our flight tomorrow because, well, there's a bit of snow in DC. I'm suspecting everything is fine and it even looks like today's flight is landing okay. But, it now shows today and tomorrow's flight as a 744, not a 748i. Not a huge concern but I'd like a ride on the new bird.

The agent spent a bunch of time with me and she ultimately believes it's a 748i, not a 744. She confirmed a tail number (D-ABVK) which the Flyertalk thread that Seth referred to shows as a refurb 744. And, when I go hunt that plane down it sure looks like it flew to DXB yesterday, which makes it unlikely it's getting ready to land at IAD.

The agent said there was a "P" after the designation in the system and she had to ask her supervisor what that meant. Apparently, that's a reference it's a new 748i. No idea.

She also confirmed that D-ABVK shows as retrofitted in her system, as do all 744s now.

11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could that mean retrofitted F? I believe that 17 of 19 744's have had F upgraded. Of the remaining two, one is a hot spare stationed at FRA. I don't know if any of them have new C.

I think the new C is most prevalent on 748 and on MUC-based aircraft.

12. oliver2002
    Original Member

oliver2002 Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks Oliver. That answers the 74P question I had. I'm not sure why they swapped these couple of days from a 748i at the last moment. That's a bit of a bummer but we'll live. Obviously would have been better to have lie-flat seats on the red-eye and old slanty ones on the return.