Any hope of approval for someone with scores in the 675-685 range?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by norge, Jan 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a family member who has scores in the 675-685 range. They are near retirement age but have had some 'overspending' issues in the past & are now trying to rectify things. Are these scores too low to even consider applying for a cr. card? Should they 'work' to get their scores higher before they try to apply? Is there a minimum score you would suggest they shoot for before attempting to apply? I've heard 700-720 mentioned before.

2. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a similar question for my mother , near retirement, never worked in the USA but i have her as an AU on most of my cards. Her credit score is 750 Transunion and 698 Experian.
    Any suggestions what miles or hotel points cards are easier to get approved for?

3. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Without guessing if they could get approved, what's the harm in trying? I'd wonder who is more lax with approvals than others and try that first, but of its declined I can't see the long-term harm. I believe Cap One is fairly loose in approvals.

4. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone else agree that CapOne is more lenient that other banks?

5. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would actually say the opposite. I think CapOne is one of the most conservative. I would try Citi and/or HSBC.

6. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have heard rumblings about CapOne being easier to get a card with but often with an abysmal limit (like 500$) that can be hard to get an increase on, even after solid payment history.

edekba likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know of someone who has a 650. Started with a C1 card w/a Limit of like $1500. Then 6M later it was $2k. 12M later $3500. so YMMV

Honestly ... I think the first card anyone w/that range should get is the Freedom. Gets your foot into the door with Chase, and we all know Chase has a very good selection of cards to get. But you ought to establish some sort of history wiht them first

98mike and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  8. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will also help to have a checking/banking relationship with them. The banker will be helpful in that regard. I remember signing up for one in the bank before seeing the miles and points, and the banker called into the CC division to ensure that I was approved.

edekba likes this.
  9. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the replies.

10. pilotb757

pilotb757 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Edekba, you were 100% correct, I applied for her for the following cards, Amex Delta Gold, Citi AA, Barclays US Airways and Chase Freedom. All were declined because of insufficient credit history and low credit score in case of Amex, score was 680. except for the Chase Freedom which was instantly approved for $3500 .

edekba likes this.