Any history of UA being a MR partner, any hope for the future?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Chase, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    Similar to the "Will AA be a MR partner," has UA ever been a partner.

If I look at the transfer partners right now, the only one that has any value to me is CO. I don't charge enough to make a large transfer to any of the current partners, though if I could choose one it would be Aeroplan. I'm using the account as a "topoff" account, but it does no good if I can't top off anything.

Are there any reasons why UA wouldn't be a MR partner in the future, like strong ties to Chase, or something similar?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That seems to be the "standard" answer given when this questions comes up on other sites. Not sure if it's 100% correct, given that -- as you point out -- Amex has/had a relationship with CO even though the CO VISA cards are issued by Chase. But maybe the relationship between old-UA and Chase is simply closer than CO's was with Chase given that Chase supposedly provided a lot of (bankruptcy?) financing for UA and pre-bought billions and squillions of miles. Who knows what is in the contracts between UA and Chase...

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doubtful, as with AA. CO is going to stop being a transfer partner later this year, when it fully merges with UA.

Which is unfortunate, as it further erodes value of the MR program. I've said it before elsewhere, With WN gone, CO leaving soon, unless AMEX picks up new (and important partners, I'm not talking about Air Tahiti) in the US, I think we'll see a number of people moving to other products.

techguru and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can count me as one. Looks like I'll have to try and hit the $30k annual spend by my August statment so I can transfer the miles before Sep 30th...

I don't know if I'll be able to make it!

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. MIA
    Original Member

MIA Active Member

Status Points:
    American Express does have some marketing relationship with AA and US, but nothing I can think of with UA. (American Express currently issues a Corporate card tied to AA, but it awards cash not miles.) At this point each legacy carrier has its own card issuing partner: AA = Citi; AS = Bank of America; DL = Amex; UA = Chase; US = Barclay's. What incentive would any of these carriers have to join a multi-carrier program that is operated by DL's affinity card issuing partner? The value of Membership Rewards will continue to be instant transfers to at least one carrier in each alliance.

miles and smiles and jbcarioca like this.
  6. lastplace

lastplace Active Member

Status Points:
    what other product gives you flexibility in transfer options like amex?
    diners club doesn't take new members and even though ua and co aren't partners, aeroplan is a great (better?) partner. same can be said for ana and ba. with those three partners i can get anywhere in the world with a good j/f product. i have always thought that if you are using mr points to transfer to miles to travel in y domestically, you aren't realy using the points properly.
    all that having been said, i would love to see aa or usair become a partner, but ua is doubtful.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. dream7
    Original Member

dream7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll probably dump all my Amex MR miles into CO just before the clock strikes 12. Unless there is a better promo . . .

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I plan on doing the same thing. Wish I did not have too. Hope to use a bunch for Xmas travel and then all points into my Onepass account

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    US is stuck in Barclay and they are not happy and neither is their customers but, they are stuck. No chance Amex comes back to UA/CO unless some type of amex/chase merger which would probably turn into antitrust.

druiddation and jbcarioca like this.
  10. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree that the Amex program is going down hill rapidly with the exit of CO. I also plan on dumping all my MR points into CO in August or Sept.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I knew US Airways' customers weren't particularly happy with Barclay's, but I've never heard of US Airways itself being unhappy. Where did you hear that? And how long are they stuck with Barclay's for?

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    I asked a senior exec at the star megao do 2. They were unhappy not being able to compete with the other programs which costs them money. He told me date but, I do not remember I think it was for many years.

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barclays invested $455 million in the US merger. Bank of America sued to keep the card, but Barclays (Juniper actually) had signed America West just before the deal. I would not expect Barclays to lose the deal anytime soon, contract or no contract.

14. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    WN = valuable partner? Really? I've never seen that as a great cpm redemption partner...