Any hints on how to identify AF/KL inventory available for AS mileage redemption? (KVS)

Discussion in 'KVS' started by iolaire, May 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I’ve just booked an business IAD-IST round trip for two on AF using AS miles for 9/3 to 9/14. Using KVS tool I thought there was availability on a flight departing on the 12th from IST -> CDG then on the 13th CDG -> IAD – however the agent was only able to see no business awards and the first coach award was on the 14th on KL rather than AF.

Please can anyone interpret the following results and give me some pointers on what I should look for to hopefully have AS availability for the AF flights?

I thought the bold flight was available?
    [KVS Availability Tool 6.1.2/Diamond - WSpan: Awards/DL]
    Code:
    IST  Istanbul Ataturk TR [LTBA]
    IAD  Washington Dulles Intl DC US [KIAD]
    MON  12 Sep 2011 | 2 Seats

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
    DL         73      IST   12:15     JFK   16:30     332  0   CX+  YA+
     -> DL/XJ  2761    JFK   20:00     IAD   21:40     CR9  0   FM+  YM+
    AF         1891    IST   18:40     CDG   21:20     320  0   CS+ *** Prefered First ***
     -> AF     28      CDG   10:40 +1  IAD   13:00 +1  777  0   CS+
    KL         1614    IST   17:10     AMS   19:50     737  0   YS+
     -> KL     651     AMS   12:30 +1  IAD   15:00 +1  332  0   YS+

Also within Amadeus I see flights on the 13th that look good also:
    [KVS Availability Tool 6.1.2/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/SkyTeam/US-AF]
    Code:
    IST  Istanbul Ataturk TR [LTBA]
    IAD  Washington Dulles Intl DC US [KIAD]
    TUE  13 Sep 2011 | 2 Seats

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
    ---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
    KL         1610    IST   05:50     AMS   08:20              WX-  YA+
     -> KL     651     AMS   12:30     IAD   15:00
    AF         2391    IST   09:00     CDG   11:40              WA+  YA+ *** Prefered Second ***
     -> AF     26      CDG   16:35     IAD   19:05
    AF         1891    IST   18:40     CDG   21:20              WS+  YA+
     -> AF     28      CDG   10:40 +1  IAD   13:00 +1

Any advice is welcome. Best case would be to find a flight that leaves and arrives on the 13th in Business Class (on AF or KL). I want to have this better planned out when I call and try to change my return. Thank you

2. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi,

Without having used KVS too much, could it be that you are seeing the extra availability which is only offered to Flying Blue Elite members. These used to be separate fare codes, but effective June 1, I think they fall in the same bucket, and thus the display could be giving you a wrong impression.

http://www.kvstool.com/FAQ.php?Source=HOME#WhichMethod

CS is marked as both "Business Award", but also, effective June 1, "Elite Business Award".

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    GenevaFlyer thank you for the response.

I kept looking at this and feel I should have been able to get the flight shown in the first code block above. Using the instructions at http://thepointsguy.com/2011/02/how-to-book-a-delta-skymiles-award/ I checked for "green dates" on airfrance.us and the space was available. I called again and the next agent was not getting a response but then she went into the AF system and got me the dates in business class.

I think what happened on my first call is I asked for a date on the 13th and when I asked for the agent then to check the 12th she never did or took no response in her system to mean the space was not available - when it was when an agent looked further.

I have to say thank you to my second agent... And that means that the info saw in KVS tool under WSpan: Awards/DL was applicable to AS.

4. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    Yes, there is C Award Availability on your preferred flights (above). For tips on dealing with agents, who may claim otherwise, please see Q32 at http://FAQ.KVSTool.com/

The 2nd set of flights is not available for partner award redemptions -- for more info, please see: