Any Hesitation in Travelling to Japan at the moment?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Toula, Jun 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Japan is a place I have always wanted to visit. As it turns out, there are opportunities for us to return to the US via Tokyo. However, my husband is saying it would not be a good idea due to the radiation links.

Just wondered if anyone had any good info I could sling his way to try an bring him around to my way of thinking as I would adore to get there on this trip.

Wurm and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will happily go to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hokkaido, Ryukus or anywhere else in japan other than the area around Sendai. The risks are primarily in that area. Outside, in Tokyo, there is still the odd power shortage. It is a good time to visit Japan precisely because of the overblown fears IMO.

Wurm, NYBanker and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  3. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a data point to give to your husband, the Metropolitan Opera just concluded a tour of many of the cities mentioned by jbcarioca. Over 300 people (singers, chorus, orchestra, stage techs etc) went over, with no ill effects. A couple of panicky solo singers cancelled, however, most all of the scheduled soloists went, including international superstar Diana Damrau, who, after consulting experts, took her six-month old son along (seen here with tenor Rolando Villazon):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

savydog and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    there's an MP member, SendaiBen who frequents these message boards, you may want to consider PM-ing him. He lives/lived in Sendai which was at the epicenter of the disaster

Travelman, jbcarioca and Wurm like this.
  5. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    My publisher and editor, who lives in Tokyo just visited me. I asked him about travel to Japan and he said there is no reason not to go.

If your husband is worried about "radiation" then perhaps you could convince him to go to the Osaka/Kyoto/Nara area, which is wonderful to visit and far, far away from the troubled nuclear power plants.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I would have no issue going to Japan (Tokyo and points south/west), having 300 people go recently and have no I'll effects doesn't offer me any particular comfort. At this point, there isn't a question of immediate visible harm (ie: people aren't falling ill in Tokyo every day), but rather it is the longer term impact which is in question by some.

Again, I'd be comfortable taking what I consider to be the very limited risk in Tokyo today.

jbcarioca and Wurm like this.
  7. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    NYBanker, the reason I think that the Met group's trip might be a valid thing for the OP to mention to the spouse is that this was not a voluntary leisure trip. Except for the soloists (who are essentially free-lancers), the great majority of the participants were permanent employees, who are also members of very powerful labor unions. Met management and the unions gave VERY careful consideration to all of the safety issues (especially from the legal-liability standpoint of sending their employees and members into harm's way) before determining that there was absolutely no reason to cancel or cut short the tour.

NYBanker and jbcarioca like this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it is clear there is not evidence of immediate problems coming about from travel to most of japan. While I don't know the full scope of the diligence and research that they did as to the longer term effects, the concept of this group - or their labor unions - performing even fairly extensive diligence on the matter gives me no incremental comfort. I don't doubt, however, that the organization cares deeply for its employees.

As to their legal liability, NY, like most states, holds employers strictly liable for harm to employees. This means, in a nutshell, that the employer is responsible for what happens, even if out of the employer's control. Against that, absent gross negligence (a high standard), employees cannot recover punitive damages from their employer. Getting a simple report from their travel provider saying things were ok to go would probably be sufficient to protect themselves from a gross negligence claim. Workers comp coverage would protect them from ordinary claims.

I'm glad you find comfort in their trip. I too am generally comfortable with travel to most of Japan. We will probably have to agree to disagree on the applicability of their trip to the "is it safe to go" question.

Do you have plans to go? (I've really been thinking about it - but haven't pulled the trigger.)

Wurm likes this.
  9. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    No present plans - not because of any perceived danger, but because my limited overseas leisure travel time is pretty much all devoted to chasing "modern" ("regie") opera productions in Europe (a style generally not done in the U.S.).

NYBanker likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was bound for Tokyo on March 11 and got diverted to an AFB and then subsequently Osaka. And I just transited through Narita twice this past week. Obviously, each stay was only 2-3 hrs, but I would not be concerned about staying in Tokyo or further south for vacation.

NYBanker likes this.
  11. sniklec
    Original Member

sniklec Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in Kansai less than two weeks after the earthquake, and there were a number of reasons (both good and less good) for staying put. I'll be there (Kansai and points west) again in August, and the main thing keeping me from going to Tokyo is the expected decrease in air conditioning use due to TEPCO's power-saving measures.

12. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in Tokyo about 6 weeks ago and everything is pretty much back to normal. There will be some transport reductions and lessened a/c during the summer in order to reduce the probability of roving brownouts.

Radiation levels are basically at the same level as prior to the earthquake. If you want to avoid environmental risk, I'd suggest a better choice would be to avoid Shanghai or Beijing due to air pollution.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be head to there next week thanks to the Delta fare. I've been following the Tokyo Radiation Levels page on Facebook. People living in the Tokyo area taking radiation levels around the city. The numbers they have been getting have been pretty stable for a while.

http://www.facebook.com/Tokyo.Radiation.Levels

14. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Radiation is not a worry but the continuing high value of the YEN makes it an expensive place to visit.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not a pleasant time of year to be in Tokyo. It's likely to be very hot and humid. While big buildings (hotels, offices, department stores, major museums, etc.) are all air conditioned, the subway system, temples, smaller shops and small restaurants are likely to be miserable for people used to AC. Walking around in the afternoon will not be pleasant. IMO NRT Terminal 1 is not effectively air conditioned either.

16. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still debating whether or not we will go to Tokyo.

However, by default we may end up there as we are looking for a points redemption to get back from Australia to San Francisco and it seems the most readily available flights go via Tokyo.

17. weegiewife
    Original Member

weegiewife Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd go in a heartbeat if I could find a good fare out of the UK - right now fares out of my airport are higher than I can swing.

Having said that, I was in Russia when Chernobyl went (really) and haven't had any ill effects yet.....

18. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right now, the exchange rate is a bigger hurdle for US tourists than any earthquake damage. As I write this, 1 USD is buying fewer than 79 Yen and there are no signs of government intervention to move it back to more reasonable levels.

19. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    perhaps tainted beef is enough of a reason not to go for now?

20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our own Wandering Aramean has been blogging from Japan for the last several days with great reporting & photos.