Any good budget trip reports about Africa in here?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by traveler, Feb 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Any good budget trip reports about Africa in here? I need to plan something new.
  2. savingrace

savingrace Silver Member

My husband and I were just trying to plan our next big trip. We just got back from three weeks in Kenya, which was great, but very pricey. That was a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Pics at

For a guided safari, how about Botswana? A great country. I recommend Letaka safari, we did a 17 day birding trip with them and were delighted. It is about half tented and half lodges. For the price we paid, around $3700 all inclusive, ( no airfare) we expected mediocre lodges, but found them to be great! And the food at both the lodges and camp were also great. I see the price for this trip is now up to $5,000, but still recommended.

A cheaper alternative would be South Africa. We spent three weeks there in 2000, and put 4600 miles on our small rental car. I highly recommend the Kwa-Zulu Natal parks. You can stay in each game park, whether a national park or state (?) park, their lodgings were fine to great for not much money. Most didn't have restaurants, so we just bought a cooler. There are always places for hot water for tea, and always bbq grills. The bigger parks do have restaurants. For car rentals, try Tony's car rentals, we used them in 2000 and see they are still in business. They actually pick you up at the airport, and their prices were very reasonable. (no miles for using though...)

Another alternative would be the western cape up into Namibia, starting at Capetown. We would love to do this, but I have MS and being in a vehicle for too long is difficult for me, the sitting up. That's the reason we are having such a difficult time finding a trip, it has to be one that I am physically able to do.

Good luck, and if anyone has any thoughts for me, Africa would be my main choice. We could fly/drive to 2-3 lodges, but can't afford $500 a night pp.
    traveler likes this.