Any fees to upgrade leg of 1st class award ticket

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by vike, Apr 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. vike
    Original Member

vike Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to upgrade from business to 1st on just one leg of a 1st class award ticket (if and when 1st comes available on LH). I am confused about whether any fees should be charged for this. A month ago I upgraded from economy to business on one of the other legs on this ticket that came available. At that time the first United agent said it would be $75 to make the change and I declined and called back. Second agent made the change without charging any fee. Now I am within 21 days of departure, but I am not sure that makes any difference for this kind of change. Anyone know the definitive answer?

edekba and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you used first class award mileage, they should not charge you for the change as you should have been waitlisted to begin with.

edekba likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you waitlist a LF flight? I know you can on a UA flight.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is unclear to me why there is a need to do anything at all. You wrote: "I would like to upgrade from business to 1st on just one leg of a 1st class award ticket (if and when 1st comes available on LH)." If you already have a 1st class award ticket, why do you wish to upgrade to a class for which you already have a ticket?

For any other situation, unless you are a Plat, 1K or GS, you will pay a fee, if changing cabin is even possible since it sounds like you may have an award ticket on LH.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No; only UA metal is eligible for waitlists.

To the OP, whether there is a fee or not will likely depend on how the existing award is booked. If they have to change it from a business award to a first award then I would expect a fee; if it was issued as a first award and booked into business then I would not.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree that there will not be a fee if a first-class award ticket was issued as a business ticket, it seems incongruous to me that it would even be possible to do that because of "No; only UA metal is eligible for waitlists." I see no difference between "a first-class award ticket issued as a business ticket" on LH and waitlisting on LH, which is apparently not be allowed.

Is a key piece of information missing?

7. vike
    Original Member

vike Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP here. The ticket was issued as a 1st class award. 8 flight segments in total. Two on UA, with the rest on other carriers including the leg in question on LH. This leg had only Bus availability at the time of booking, but 1st class may be opening up in the next week (it will be within 14 days of travel). When I call to make the switch I am trying to determine whether to accept a fee (as opposed to calling back for another agent).

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much clearer. You have a multi-carrier first-class award ticket and are entitled to a seat in F on all segments with availability. No Fee.

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is possible to have an award issued in the higher cabin and booked in the lower cabin even if not on UA metal.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is clear from the OP's clarification. However, the only reason to do it that way is if there is no availability in the higher cabin. Since the result is that one would, for all practical purposes, be waitlisted, it means that this is not strictly correct:

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

Not necessarily. You can have the award issued in the higher cabin and not be waitlisted for that seat on partner metal.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  12. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you are not waitlisted in this instance. You have redeemed an award at the higher level, but have agreed to travel in a different, lower cabin of service. If you do nothing from this point onwards, you will stay in that cabin. If *A O class availability shows up on an LH flight (aka: LH F availabile to partner awards) in this case and you do not actively try and pursue the availability you don't get the seat.

Waitlisting is being put into the cabin you are entitled to, once the availability shows, without further intervention on your part. LH elites using M&M as the source of the award redemption (or using an LH e-upgrade) can waitlist for LH F availability; passengers on UA awards where the award is an F award, but they are traveling in LH C/Y, do not go onto LH F waitlists (there are waitlists for UA awards on UA metal, but this is about LH), but have to monitor LH F space and contact UA to put them into the F cabin.

OP- what you are looking for is O class space to open up (that's F cabin, available to *A partners).

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused: Why would anyone choose not to monitor if one has the higher class ticket?
    We clearly have the OP's case. I am sure that s/he will be upgraded for free if a F seat becomes available because of the award ticket paid for..."For all practical purposes" that is wailisted. It is a matter of whether it is autamated or not; it is not "strictly" true that waitlisting is for UA metal only...

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So you're saying that "Waitlisted" can mean a reservation whereby you have to manually monitor it and call in to confirm should the inventory becomes available?? With that definition I suppose you are correct. But I don't think that anyone other than you is using that definition of waitlisted.

15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do not neglect the matter of such a list not existing in this case.

Being entitled to available space on-request without additional mileage deduction is not the same as being on a waitlist.

16. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For all practical purposes, a human is a chimpanzee when it comes to how much of their respective DNA matches. Yet I suspect you would not consider them the same thing. ;)

Exactly. LH extends such a waitlist as a courtesy... to their own M&M members. UA MP members who've redeemed awards using MP cannot use this waitlist, they must contact MP and monitor space. Which is why it should be clear that it's not the same thing.

estnet and Wandering Aramean like this.
  17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess that it is why I do not agree with most who find it hard to get confirmed for SQ F awards... Unless it is one's own FFP's metal, it is necessary to keep monitoring. Either that or miss out... It is a waitlist -- literally.

To each his/her own. I know what works and I will keep doing it.

18. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The word inconceivable comes to mind, as does the sweet flavor of iocaine powder.

19. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking more Lewis Carroll and Humpty Dumpty. ;)

20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no doubt in my mind at all about what's broken in all of this and needs to be put back together...;)

21. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There's glory a nice knock-down argument for you!

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, this horse has now been dead for some time. To keep beating on it would simply exacerbate the stench..

Here's a deodorant:
    Wanna confirm the "tough-to-confirm" F awards on SQ? Piece of cake because they ALWAYS clear at the gate, so book'em, confirm in C, and waitlist!