Any feedback on new boarding process?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by beach1103, Mar 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am traveling tomorrow and just checked in and saw that I am in Boarding Group 2 (Premier Platimum)...is group 1 for GS and 1K? Just curious if anyone has any feedback on how the new process works? Just curious what to expect tomorrow.

** Sorry if this has been posted/asked before **

2. Cuse44
    Original Member

Cuse44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Group 1 is 1K and First Class
    GS get to pre-board before Group 1

3. beach1103

beach1103 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great...Thanks!!! That is what I thought.

4. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA Insider/Shannon posted the order for CO pre-3/3. Plats were Group 1 with premium cabin and 1K. Are Plats now in Group 2?

EDIT:
    Never mind, found it. Looks like Plats are now Group 2. But given that it's JUST Plats in Group 2, that's not so bad.
    http://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Company-Operations/Pages/arriving-at-a-single-boarding-process.aspx
    [​IMG]

5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Under the new program, Plats are below 1K because you only need to get 75k PQMs for Platinum, as opposed to 100k for 1K.

So Plats are in Group 2.

6. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Captain Obvious, but it's not like I just fell off the turnip truck or something... :p

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a bug (which I'll provide UAInsider with the boarding pass for): I was assigned boarding group 8 on Sunday despite being a silver and having selected a seat in the reserved-for-elite section of Y. I pre-board anyway, so it didn't actually affect me, but it'd be nice to get the bug ironed out. I should have been in group 4.

However, I did get this award ticket on CO when I had no status there, so that may have been part of the reason for group 8, but I'd expect changing seats might have re-triggered the boarding group. Apparently not.

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  8. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lots of issues here still need to be fixed -- lots of folks got bad boarding groups. I got "5" as a 1K, I spoke with a Premier Gold who got 8.

9. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yeah, something is night right in Denmark. I talked to a GS flyer today who had a BP that said boarding group 5. He just boarded first regardless, but said he was worried they might be trying to sneak in a windows and rear first, then move forward policy. That would be really poor.

10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I figure as specific a bug report as I can make will help them narrow these things down, so that's what I'll be doing. Of course, I work in software QA, so I can write a killer bug report. :)

mht_flyer likes this.
  11. MileCards

MileCards Silver Member

Status Points:
    Boarding a flight to IAH today overheard a thick drawl say "It says I'm a K ONE but have group five on my boarding pass."

It was funnier in person.

mht_flyer, PhlyingRPh, DCA1K and 3 others like this.
  12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pushing and shoving aren't part of my style. That said, it really irritates me when "push and shovers" work their way into the line ahead of me with no consequences. I was patiently in line as a Group 2 this weekend, and I could see these two people (not together) standing inside the ropes ahead, but not actually in line. They called Group 3 before I got up there, and both of these folks just moved right into the line as if the rest of us were invisible.

I'm not sure what the solution is. If the airlines pay someone to police the line, then their costs go up. If I am in the right (wrong?) mood, I may confront someone in that situation, but it seldom has a happy ending. The airlines may someday design the perfect system of boarding order, but it won't matter. Too many people think the rules are for everyone else. How do others handle this particular act of rudeness?

13. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tell myself that the karmic imbalance will equalize eventually, preferably with the rule breakers enduring some sort of long weather delay in a crappy airport in the middle of nowhere.

If people want to cut in line, I just let them -- life's too short to allow myself to even get slightly worked up about it -- I try to be zen about the whole thing.

DCA1K and ssullivan like this.
  14. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)

I actually got a message back from UA Insider about two hours back saying this issue should be resolved in the next day-and-a-half so that's a good thing.

PhlyingRPh and Flyer1976 like this.
  15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aha!

You know, it's a problem, but on the grand scale of things, it's not as big a problem as it could have been.

PhlyingRPh, ssullivan and mht_flyer like this.
  16. Downunder girl
    Original Member

Downunder girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right now, after reading some of these bug threads, I am thanking my lucky stars that I am not flying this month :D

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  17. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes its truly inane. There were 4 classes previously and i9t worked just fine. Now there are 8 which totally slows down the process. Its going backward when all airlines went the other way-including United in last few years. Too many classifications. Just KISS!!! We love United but whos in charge of the logic vetting?
    United millionmiler,

Olton Hall likes this.
  18. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    excellent- wonder why they didnt send me one

19. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    I understand the explanation of 8 classes BUT thats inane because 4 was plenty plenty and airlines wisely went the other way the last few years. logic &simpicity- good for United,good for customers.Thanks Steve

20. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except there weren't four groups before. There were four numbered groups, which didn't even start until after Global Services, First/Business Class, 1K, Premier Executive/Star Gold, and Premiers had all boarded. The old group 1 was really group 4 or 5, and the old group 4 practically was group 8.

You argue they should keep it simple. Giving every group a number is far simpler than a system with long explanations of who boards during the various elite levels, and the numbered groups are boarding in the overall sequence at a point that's really the number on the boarding pass plus three or four.

DCA1K likes this.
  21. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    Greet
    ings- BUT thats exactly what they did at LAX this week- redav off all 8 groups, with explanations, details thus taking an inordinate and wasteful amount of time.All I know is that it took alot longer, which was my primary point. We all will be glad when new systems settle in, effiency mostly arises.

22. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the numbered groups are much better than calling out the endless group names, but a scrum is still a scrum when trying to board a 777 IAD-LAX!

ssullivan likes this.
  23. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. And those who try to argue that flights such as that one were any sort of efficient three years ago before any merger talk are smoking something.

24. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was easier for F, GS, and 1K because we were the only ones trying to get to the (formerly red) carpet. And if we missed our call we could walk right onto the carpet at any time. I liked it better like that.

beach1103, cordray2643 and JLSocks like this.
  25. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    The most civilized and workable boarding process in the history of commercial aviation was that used by United in the days before the initial talks with Continental.

Namely:
    Red Carpet Lane: F, J, GS, 1K ONLY
    Regular Lane: Prem Ex, Prem and all other pax in zones 1 through n (don;t know how many zones there were).

It balanced recognition and convenience with speed and efficiency while allowing late arriving premium pax to access the gate without standing in line. It was doubly efficient because those who would board through the red carpet lane could pre-load that line and be ready to move as soon as the gate agent was ready to roll. Meanwhile, Prem Ex and Premier pax could do the same with the regular lane because they knew they would be the first to board once the red carpet line cleared.

Today, in comparison, it's a messier process. One factor that results in 1K's, GS, F and J pax finding themselves playing the role of gate lice is that military personnel are invited to board before all other pax. Normally there are no military personnel (at least none who take advantage of the early boarding offer), but if one or more do show up, those in line feel inclined to make room for them, which is sometimes difficult to do when the stanchions are placed to create single file queues. Even if no military pax show up, it still slows down the boarding process when we are all looking around to see if any uniforms are walking toward the gate so that we can get out of their way.

All in all, the current boarding process does not leverage the efficiency of the two lane system and unnecessarily results in high revenue and top tier loyalty passengers becoming gate lice. I hate it.