Any extra GPUs / SWUs?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by scf, Apr 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    MP-

I've found this site to be full of wonderful people, both in knowledge and generosity. I never want to take advantage of that and I'd like to help continue to foster the strengths of this site as compared to another site, which shall remain nameless. (c:

I'm fairly new to this game and have little to offer compared to many. However, I can certainly promise to continue being active and provide in-site wherever possible.

I'm a united silver member and expect to reach gold this year. While it may be premature at this point, I fully expect to pay it forward by offering a +1 into *A lounges on my future international trips.

That being said, and I'm embarrassed to ask this as I don't want to look greedy or selfish, but sunday 4/29 my wife and I are traveling on a United flight to FRA (continuing on to VIE and then DME) and I'm hoping someone might have two extra GPUs that we may use. The fare class is "q" and there appear to be plenty of open business class spots.

I know it's a lot to ask and I hope I've not crossed any lines. Thank you!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    no lines crossed. I'd suggest offering some hotel points or miles (or something) in exchange for the upgrades.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bartering the upgrades is explicitly prohibited. I'd be very careful about making such offers in public.

scf and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What he said... Airlines frown upon bartering however they can't do anything if someone was to kindly offer them GPUs out of their hearts.

theBOAT and scf like this.
  5. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, was aware of this rule...thank you for reiterating.

The fact that those with the extra GPUs are willing to donate them rather than let them expire is one of the things that makes the members of this site great. We are all travel enthusiasts and we can help each other travel better, smarter and cheaper.

Thanks again.

6. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    morning MPers! Just wanted to bump this to the top as our travel dates are getting closer...still crossing my fingers and hoping!! (c:

7. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Saturday morning bump! t-minus one day....upgrade or not, really getting excited about the much needed vacation! (c:

8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As you know you won't be able to apply these instruments inside 23:59 I do believe.

scf likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    With all those GS and 1Ks on FT abandoning (supposedly) UA for greener pAAstures there might soon be an influx of upgrade certs on FT's CC...

scf likes this.
  10. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was unaware of this rule...looks like I've only got a few more hours then! Flight is at 2:26pm central time. Thanks for the heads up!

11. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    thinking strategically..nice! Too bad I dont seem to have access to the coupon thread on FT. I suppose for similar reasons I dont have access to the Exchange forum on this site. Maybe one day..!

12. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Access to FT's Coupon Connection is I think 180 days registered on the site and 180 posts.

For MP's Exchange, you need to be a Gold member.

In most cases when I see GPUs come up in those sections, someone is usually wanting to exchange earlier-expiring GPUs for later expiring ones.

Have a good trip, scf! :)

scf likes this.
  13. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the insight on the forums. Very much looking forward to the trip, thank you...!

14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry we all couldn't be of help here.

scf likes this.
  15. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    no worries - you win some you lose some. I figured it'd more about my luck and timing than anything else. At least its not a 15 hour flight to somewhere in Asia! (c:

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    End of the year is probably a better time to score cheap/free upgrades as they are about to expire. I have four GPUs waitlisted and two left, but probably two round trips that I will still book, so not ready to write anything off at this time.

scf likes this.
  17. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    yup, I figured that would be come in to play as well. was just hoping to get lucky (c: