Any experiences // stays with Waldorf=Astoria Collection Hotels around the world? [ Plus POLL ]

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by uggboy, Jul 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

?

Have you ever stayed in Waldorf=Astoria Collection Hotel stayed?

1. Yes, once!

28.6%
  2. Yes, often!

45.7%
  3. No, I haven't yet but I plan to in the future!

8.6%
  4. No, I haven't and do NOT plan in the future to stay in one!

5.7%
  5. Wait for the WA chain to grow at the moment!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Have booked // stayed a paid stay with WA Collection!

14.3%
  7. Have booked // stayed with HH points in a WA Collection Hotel!

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having a lot heard // read and thought about the Waldorf=Astoria Collection Hotels around the world, we would ask MP' ers today, has anyone experiences // stays with any of the WA Collection Hotels around the world to share with us?

We have experience with two properties so far, The Bentley in London, a gorgeous Townhouse property, feels like a mansion in the heart of the city, our room was large and comfortable with all the luxury of space, a superb bed, whirlpool bath and fantastic eating and drinking. Thumbs up for this property from our experience. The other one is the Trianon Palace in Versailles, a gorgeous hotel too, but much more stuffy service and way higher prices compared to The Bentley, eating and drinking was fine, superb quality by Gordon Ramsay and our room was in the original Palace building and large, plus very modern, but the bathtub this time around was slippery and the shower not high-end furnished and had a used feel to it. So far, a mixed bag with our experiences, which are still very very limited!

We are looking to grow our stays incl. Waldorf=Astoria properties, new properties are in the pipeline too, as Hilton had announced lately to expand the brand throughout the world incl. the UAE, Israel, Berlin, Germany, Panama and Montreal plus some more in the future!

We would be most grateful for more insights into the Hilton top-tier Luxury brand!

PS................There is a short poll too!

Thanks for the input MP'ers!

Keep flying and staying plus share your experiences too!:)

Chimpy, YBJFK and Kalboz like this.
  2. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most recently I stayed at the Boca Raton Resort (a WA property) for a night on business. It is a beautiful Adison Mizner property with lots to offer. I stayed in a Cloister Traditional which is in the oldest part of the hotel (built in 1926). It was a lovely room with a nice sized bathroom, seperate closet/makeup area and a huge window.

I had great sushi at Morimoto and was kind of bummed I wasn't there longer as there are many restaurants on the property. Although this resort is absolutely beautiful, very comfortable and I would definitely LOVE to stay there again, it's really a vacation property. I would have enjoyed it much more had I had someone to share it with! I will certainly be back and would recommend it to just about anyone.

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds amazing, a great WA property! Thanks for sharing your insights!!:)

Chimpy, Kalboz and jmrich1432 like this.
  4. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although it is is the US, I have stayed a couple of times at the Waldorf Grand Wailea in Maui, and I consider it to be one of Hilton's best worldwide properties even though there is no Executive lounge. The grounds of the hotel are truly spectacular, and it is the reason that I will return there in the future. If one has the chance to see the movie, "Just Go With It," the location of the Garnd Wailea provides the backdrop for the movie's main characters hotel stay in Maui.

5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Original product (and "Towers") in NYC remains a disappointment.

The Boca property is a conference hotel. It is nice, but I hold a lesser view of it than the poster earlier in this thread. The three luxe properties in Palm Beach, just up the road, are a much better proposition for typically the same price. Check if there is a conference before booking for leisure. Several of banker conferences I've attended here have really taken over the property, at the expense of non-conference guests. (Picture a sea of blue blazers...)

The Biltmore in Arizona has a similar profile to the Boca property.

This brand has basically positioned itself similarly to Fairmont. A lot of nice things, but somehow comes out half to a full notch below RC and FS properties.

6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Grand Wailea was very nice. Agree with chitownflyer. Great for families with a fantastic pool area. Right on the beach as well. Great location in Maui and if you like quiet beaches, Big Beach in Makena State Park is just a short drive south.

The Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix was nice architecturally and the grounds were nice with pools scattered around but the room was just ok... nothing to write home about. Good central location if you're in town on business.

The Boulders in Carefree north of Phoenix was fantastic. Great place to get away from it all and the rooms were nice and cozy with a kiva fireplace... unfortunately, it was anti wood burning season when I went. Each room has a patio or balcony and just a great place for a romantic getaway. Highly recommend this place as it is unique but also a place to bring yourself back into spiritual balance.

uggboy and chitownflyer like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the insights and the overall picture about the WA Collection! Does this mean that WA is more upper upscale than true luxury? And when in which terms?

Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  8. bea61
    Original Member

bea61 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The actual Waldof-Astoria in NYC impressed me with its public spaces, and especially the oversized flower arrangements. Our standard guest room, however, was rather small with little space for luggage. It had been repainted so often that the paint buildup obscured the details in the woodwork. Lastly, the concierge couldn't correctly find us a nearby restaurant serving salads for lunch. Shouldn't that have been a simple request?

uggboy likes this.
  9. Thinking of staying at WA New York in Feb next year for ten nights. Anyone have any reviews?

uggboy likes this.
  10. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was a large conference going on while I was there, but it really didn't bother me. The gym was empty (7pm) and the grounds were pretty calm. Considering in was January I would have thought the hotel would be more crowded regardless. The conference attendees were seen on breaks and such in the lobby, but it seemed like they dispersed pretty quickly.

Maybe I just got really lucky or am more tolerant of groups. Either way, it is a very large property. There is actually the main area on the west side of the intercoastal and then another area of the hotel on the east side on the beach and the Atlantic. Might be way too big for some tastes, but I thought it was nice.

I definitely would NOT stay there if I were going to Palm Beach. Palm Beach is 45 minutes north if there's no traffic and has many beautiful hotels. It's slightly closer to Ft. Lauderdale, but still not a drive I would want to be making while on vacation.

uggboy and NYBanker like this.
  11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe bankers invade properties more than other trades? Different banks typically try to reserve entire restaurants at a hotel on a given night. While most hotels will leave one open to the public, little stops our blue-blazered army from moving in on the unreserved property as well.

Against that, you hit the one potential ace in the hole here - the east property. Albeit a walk or shuttle ride away, the oceanfront portion of the Boca is going to be a little more intimate for sure.

Chimpy, uggboy and jmrich1432 like this.
  12. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can see how a group could easily dominate many of the restaurant/bar areas there. The particular group that was there while I was seemed to all retreat to their rooms. I was thinking this would be a great property for a weekend trip as they often run specials and it seems less likely that a conference would be there over the weekend. Do yours normally stay weekends?? I'm not sure if I want to avoid these bankers or enjoy the show!

NYBanker and uggboy like this.
  13. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Been to both the Arizona Biltmore and Grand Wailea and they are both terrific properties just like RestlessLocationSyndrome said. The Biltmore is a gorgeous property in Arizona. I love going there just to get away from people and be secluded for a weekend. The hotel is off by itself surrounded by these mega-mansions. Everything was fantastic. The hotel was designed by the Wright brothers and they say the original Tequilla Sunrise was created there.

The Grand Wailea is a beautiful property and has probably the best location in Maui. I don't know anyone that actually PAYS to stay there (hahaha) since rooms are like $500+ a night not including all the crazy fees.. If I'm staying there it's on free night certificates or points. In fact, I am heading there in 2 weeks to finish up the rest of my free night certificates from last year. Can't wait for the R&R!

Another Waldorf property I've been too and loved is the Rome Cavalieri. It sits atop Rome and the hotel is just stunning. It does have an Executive Lounge and free shuttle service into the city. Absolutely loved this hotel and am ready to return!

I really wish Waldorfs would give free breakfast to Gold and/or Diamonds though...that's my only complaint with their properties since I get breakfast at a standard Hilton.

uggboy likes this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may be a little off on this one.
    The Wright brothers made their name in aviation - not hotel design. I suspect you meant to say Frank Lloyd Wright. This, too, would have been off, as the hotel was designed by Albert Chase McArthur. McArthur had studied under Wright (Frank Lloyd, not the flying brothers) for a few years prior to his designing the hotel. The property itself describes their design as "influenced" by Wright. Certainly, the property has a combination of desert southwest and Wright features which is pleasing to many.

Sadly, the flat roofs that were so common in Wright's designs (and featured in the Biltmore) are notoriously leaky. While that is somewhat mitigated by being in dry areas, friends of mine who have stayed here regularly mention a surprising number of leaky roofs for a "desert hotel."

I've only stayed here two or three times over the years. While this is a fine four-star (upper mid-tier) property, it is definitely a conference hotel - so make sure to understand the property's event schedule if you are planning a leisure trip. Just like at the Boca, this place can get overrun. Unlike the Boca, it doesn't have the "place across the intracoastal" to bail to!

Chimpy and uggboy like this.
  15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our standard drill is a Sunday to Tuesday affair, with Monday day and evening being the "money days" for getting business done. A few events linger to Wednesday, but this is limited to the larger events.

Those who want to bake in a company-paid holiday turn up Friday night or Saturday morning. Probably 30% of the attendees don't turn up until Monday morning. Departures start Tuesday morning and roll through about 24 hours after the conference closes.

I either turn up Saturday morning or Monday morning. If I'm going to ruin a weekend with work travel, I usually figure i will make the most of it and go early...otherwise, it's a 6am departure to somewhere Monday morning.

If you want to collect squeeze balls with all the different I-banks' logos, this is the place to be...

Chimpy, jmrich1432 and uggboy like this.
  16. luv2travel

luv2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    NY Banker, you are correct. My bad. The hotel definitely plays on the Wright design. Thanks for the insight.

uggboy likes this.
  17. I took the family along on a business trip to Fajardo, Puerto Rico and stayed at El Conquistador which is where the "business" was taking place. Been there 2 other times since then. It has a really family fun atmosphere, "Las Casitas" are amazing, the views are beautiful and although the beach is a 20 minute ferry ride to Palomino, it is worth it (for real, for real). We typically steer clear of resorts but El Conquistador was a lot of fun. Oh yea, our boys loved "El Coqui" waterpark (so did I) located on the property. For foodies, there are some truly great authentic restaurants within walking distance that cook up the real deal. GREAT property!!

uggboy likes this.
  18. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed.

A few of the WA properties we've stayed at:
    Las Casitas (Puerto Rico) review here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...esort-fajardo-puerto-rico-ne-side-of-pr.2170/
    Arizona Biltmore
    La Quinta (Palm Springs area)
    Waldorf Astoria NYC

uggboy likes this.
  19. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    UPDATE: The Bentley London, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel is now known as The Bentley London, A Hilton Hotel. It has left the WA tier and joined the Hilton main brand instead.

Tenmoc, Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  20. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  21. travelexpert

travelexpert Active Member

Status Points:
    Loved the W-A Dakota Lodge in Park City.

It helped that we were upgraded with standard HH points to a two level two bedroom loft/suite with spectacular kitchen.
    And for some erroneous reason, were given $50/day hotel credit--so used that for breakfast.

But everything about the hotel was perfect--it's a relatively new build.

uggboy likes this.
  22. DealHound
    Original Member

DealHound Silver Member

Status Points:
    We really enjoyed our recent stay at The Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans (formerly the Fairmont.) Beautifully renovated property with great service. Booking through the Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection (Visa Signature) we received an upgrade to a suite and full breakfast for 2, in addition to our Gold HHonors benefits.

uggboy likes this.
  23. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed on multiple occasions at the flagship in NYC and once at the Trianon Palace in Versailles.

NYC: Typically a decent stay. Service is always good but nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing special for Diamond members either. This hotel is more for "show" rather than luxury. The rooms are small and the TVs bad. That being said, it is "the" Waldorf and the history alone makes up for some of the other things the hotel lacks. This is not my first or second or even third choice when in NYC - it is way down the list. Other hotels have a much better price/service point. But again, just walking around the lobby and taking in all that is the Waldorf does add value that can't be had elsewhere. [similar to the Mark Hopkins in SFO but I liked the MH better]

Trianon Palace: DO NOT GO. Is my opinion clear enough? What a horrible experience at this hotel. I check in and - 1) I am put in the "other" building as I am told that typically the hotel makes sure Diamond members have a room in the main building. I am told that the reason for putting me in the other building is because the hotel is very busy. Yes, and I am one of the Diamond member guests that is making it very busy and since my reservations has been on file for months, don't "walk" me to what is basically a different hotel [in as much as the main building is allegedly that much better - I don't know, I didn't get to experience it]. 2) the desk clerk promised wine and an assortment of goodies. At ~ 11Pm still nothing, Not even bottles of water. In fact, no one had even bothered to provide turn down service. 3) The second desk clerk - the one I spoke to after finding nothing in the room - offered a box of chocolate and basically said too bad. 4). The desk clerk upon check out really could not be bothered either and simply didn't respond to my responses about how I liked my stay. 5) The concierges and the front door folks were rude and unprofessional. 30+ minutes for a taxi as the front door folks were giving away taxis to others while I waited in the lobby [It was July and terribly hot outside]. 6) The one redeeming event was speaking to the GM/Assistant GM. He apologized and make everything right [$$$ wise], albeit I would have preferred a better stay. Let's make it two redeeming events. My next stop was the PH Vendome in Paris and as always, that was a fantastic stay.

A final note about the Trianon Palace: The stay mentioned above turned me into a faux Diamond.. While service at places such as the Hilton MUC, other Hiltons in and around NYC and even in Madison, WI have been fantastic, I no longer make an effort to stay at Hilton branded hotels and my status is maintained through Amex spend. Since I probably won't make spend without the Mint, the break up will be what we both want/need.

Cheers -

2soonold and uggboy like this.
  24. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Outstanding!:)

Kalboz and Chimpy like this.
  25. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your amazing insights into this two properties!:)

Kalboz and Chimpy like this.