Any Experience with Asiana Credit Card?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Steven Schwartz, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I heard about this card a bit over a year ago and it definitely interested me but I never acted on it because I never read about or heard of anyone having and using it.

Asiana is a Star Alliance member. The big selling point about this card is that you get TWO miles for each dollar. First Class on a partner from NY to Europe is 100,000 miles or a $50,000 spend. Business Class is 75,000 miles or a $37,500 spend. Yes, I did well on the 50% US Air bonus and will certainly take advantage of the BA 40% on right now - but this is basically a 100% bonus every day!

This is so much better than most cards that I'm surprised I never have seen a thread on FT extolling its virtues. Any experience or opinions?

Bluto and Wanaflyforless like this.
  2. bhmflyer
    Original Member

bhmflyer Active Member

Status Points:
    I've had it for a couple of years and generally find it a very good card for the reasons you mentioned. The few drawbacks, which you should weigh against the big positives, are:

• Max 200,000 miles per year
    • Asiana awards are tiered by mileage flown, so depending on where you leave from, you may find that it is 80,000 miles to fly to Milan but 100,000 to fly to Rome
    • Their English language website and customer service in general is definitely not their first priority

3. Wanaflyforless
    Original Member

Wanaflyforless Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am user and fan of this card.

IMO, many many United Airlines, Continental Airlines, and US Airways credit card holders are missing out big time by only earning one mile per $.

As for the 200,000 cap if you spend more than $100K/year:
    Asiana allows mileage pooling among family members.
    The solution may be to get family members to apply for the card and add you as an authorized user on their account.
    If you and 4 other family have the card (and you spend on and pay their Asiana CC), you can have 5 Asiana credit cards that each earn you 200,000 miles, for a total of a million miles/year.

gomike likes this.
  4. aka60

aka60 Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised this aspect (200,000 cap) of the card has not been talked about more.

5. ACPanda
    Original Member

ACPanda Active Member

Status Points:
    I had this card in the past and was very happy with it. The card helped me rack up the Asiana miles quickly.

6. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I'm reading the Asiana website correctly, each mile has an expiration date of 10 years which cannot be extended regardless of activity. Is that correct?

7. geclub1
    Original Member

geclub1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct.

8. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I've read of their membership booklet, it's 7 years. Maybe they updated it.

9. cleome

cleome Active Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't Asiana charge YQ on award tickets?