Any experience with Alitalia?

Discussion in 'SkyTeam' started by gregm, Apr 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I almost booked my holiday, European award travel on Alitalia. (MIA-FCO-OTP-FCO-MIA) I decided to do a little reading up on their customer satisfaction. I couldn't find anything positive. Anyone have anything to say either way? I'm more concerned with their long-haul, TATL J product, on their 772. It wasn't a bad deal, 140,000 RT J and F all the way.

uggboy, Newscience and MX like this.
  2. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've always found them very good when seated up front, and the food is excellent. Seated in back, well, it's mixed at best. :)

One thing about AZ, when things do go wrong (as they do with all airlines) the staff tends to disappear. That applies to ground staff, not flight crews.

3. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, @Gargoyle !

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    oh, and avoid checked luggage with AZ (of course, it's best to avoid checked luggage with anyone).

uggboy, Newscience, gregm and 2 others like this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Before AZ stopped flying to India(many years ago), I took one from Milan to Mumbai. Going out, excellent antipasto (fresh tomato and mozzarella) passable pasta, passable chicken, wonderful dessert (and second helping of icecream) good chianti. This is by the way of saying that their Biz seats were at that time, tired and sluggish and overdue for retirement.

Daytime flight from FCO to JFK in Economy, was as Gargoyle says, more miss than a hit. If you like Chianti, which I do; then the flight home is rather passable.

uggboy, Newscience, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll add this - since gregm has some good responses from Gargoyle and anileze - for a humorous spin. Some years ago, I met and became friends with two employees of Alitalia airlines, a flight attendant, and a fellow who worked in AZ management.

They had many great stories about years of flying from Europe to many far-flung AZ destinations. One of them was how the flight attendant would have to be on the lookout for people in coach seating who tried to start fires in the aisle to cook their own food (heck, that's understandable, and I've wished that I could do this on some US carriers)! ;)

They also told me that it was widely known throughout the airline industry that "Alitalia" stood for "Always Late In Take-off, Always Late In Arrival"! :D

Max M, uggboy, Gargoyle and 3 others like this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I knew a retired AZ FA who told me similar stories about the FCO-CAI and India flights- pax would bring little coleman type stoves and set them up in the aisle to cook goat meat. He hated the CAI flights the most.

8. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the memory jog, Gargoyle. Yes, CAI was also part of that particular "cooking on board by passengers" story! ;)
    Newscience

uggboy, Gargoyle and gregm like this.
  9. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have only ever flew with them domestically. While I have nothing negative to say about them, I have nothing positive to say about them either. They are just a regular airline with regular service and I wouldn't mind flying them again domestically.

uggboy, Gargoyle and gregm like this.
  10. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I would be fine with a full stomach and a nice lay-flat. I think the interiors, while not new, may be updated. Oh, I hate wine!

uggboy, Gargoyle and anileze like this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. Do you think service from FCO to OTP would mimic domestic service and configs or something in between J and Y? I know AF and KLM both have 'European" configs of 'F' up front. I put the ' ' around F because I don't consider blocking the middle seat F.

uggboy likes this.
  12. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry but would not have the slightest clue about this :( I wouldn't have my hopes too high though for a great difference though.

uggboy and gregm like this.
  13. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just some experiences in the past couple of years:

- Have flown their new A330s in Premium Economy. It's fine, not a seat I like (similar to the AF Premium Coach seat), and service is minimalistic, but acceptable

- Flying NYC-FCO-LIN, we left NYC late, so missed my connection to LIN. When I got to the transfer desk, they immediately issued my new boarding pass, as I had already been rebooked. My checked luggage has also been moved to my new flight, so no issues at all.

- Also done a number of European legs in coach. They are quite comparable to all the players out there in coach. Not much to expect.

- One issue at one point: flying into LIN with my wife, they couldn't get the luggage compartment open, so it took a long time for checked luggage to come out (but it did come out :) )

Overall, I think they have made a number of improvements in the past couple of years. The new planes are nice, I can't speak about the 777. As a Flying Blue elite, the earnings on AZ can be better than on AF/KL, in particular in Premium Economy. Given the right price and timings, I would fly them again.

As for difference between J and Y on a European flight, count on something similar to AF/KL, i.e. don't expect too much.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

14. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you.
    Thank you.

uggboy likes this.
  15. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've flown FCO to OTP and on my flight at least it was configured same as domestic.

16. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  17. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello, in March I've flown FCO-MIA-FCO with Alitalia in premium economy. Right balance between economy and business. The food is not bad, perhaps best than AF or Delta (but I'am italian), in-flight services in the media as the other companies. Call center/web site are terrible

Newscience, uggboy, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  18. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

uggboy likes this.
  19. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm booked JFK/MXP in coach > thank you $271 fare to Asia. ;)

Are the seats and food really that bad?

dh

20. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends. Seat are tired as the planes have not had any interior refresh. Food - do not choose hot pasta as it is a reheat.

Newscience, gregm and dhammer53 like this.
  21. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Food is normal TATL coach food, maybe a touch better than some others. I prefer it to the DL coach fare.
    Some of the 332's have standard coach only, no premium economy. The old overhead screens. I just did a R/T, DL premium economy on a 763 eastbound and AZ 332 economy westbound. While I don't like Airbus (cheap tacky plastic planes, even the name implies it's based on the Greyhound model) my AZ seat was more comfortable than the DL seat. (note I was stuck in a bulkhead middle on DL). The chicken meal was quite good.

dhammer53 likes this.