Any experience redeeming AS miles on Icelandic?

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by mhnadel, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since Icelandic is starting up service from IAD soon, I'm looking at using AS miles on them to facilitate taking a ship from Denmark to Iceland via the Faroes. (Smyril Line if you're interested. I'd do a few day layover in the Faroes, since that is the main point of the exercise.)

It isn't obvious whether the open jaw is actually allowed, though, since they list redemptions "to/from Europe" and "to/from Iceland," not anticipating odd people like me who would want to travel between the two regions by sea.

Any advice beyond just calling AS to ask?

2. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you are allowed an open jaw.

When is the IAD service starting? I may have to move my current award from SEA to JFK. I would much rather go out of IAD as I will be in DC that week. FWIW, There are a lot of Biz award seats avail. from JFK.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not following your proposed routing. Open jaw is certainly allowed and you could fly SEA-KEF/KEF-IAD. But I don't think that's what you're looking for..?

4. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The IAD service starts May 17th. It's seasonal (through October 16th) with 4 flights a week most of that time, plus an extra flight (on Wednesdays) from July 13-27th.

My plan is IAD-CPH (via KEF) / KEF-IAD. I'm thinking those flights are short enough that I'd just do it in Premium economy, vice business.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    That should be fine, 65k for Premium Economy (80k for business). Since you're going to CPH rather than just KEF you pay the full Europe price rather than just the KEF price, even though you are returning from KEF.

6. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check to see if a redeemed ticket allows a KEF stopover, as with most of their European fares.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Alaska won't allow a stopover and an open jaw.

But since OP is returning from KEF, they get time there anyway :)

Exiled in Express likes this.
  8. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    sweet. I can now move my trip around, if I can find avail.

9. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would splurge, its not that many more points, if you have them.

10. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, I couldn't find seats into CPH or OSL that would work with other aspects of my plan, but I did find round trip (coach, alas) between IAD and KEF in late August / early September. Normally I'd have more flexibility, but the shipping schedule is a major constraint and changes around the time of year I'm planning to go. (Which was, itself, constrained by other plans I have.)

I still have to figure out how to get between KEF and [FONT=%value]Seyðisfjörður, though that should not be difficult. Figuring out how to pronounce the latter name is more of a challenge.[/FONT]

jackal likes this.
  11. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just an update on Icelandair. They are leaving Alaska in 2013
    Icelandair

Effective June 1, 2013, Icelandair will no longer be a Mileage Plan™ partner. Existing award travel, and award travel booked by May 31, 2013, will be honored for travel through February 28, 2014. Award travel on Icelandair cannot be booked or changed after May 31, 2013.​

12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder who's decision this was, AS or Icelandair? I think it may have something to do with the super-cheap Icelandair redemptions on AS.