Any disadvantage in booking a Finnair codeshare on AA metal?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Jul 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at fares to Barcelona end of the month. The AA website is generally pricing at $1,800 or more RT from SFO, but looking at some other vendors (Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity), I can see some routings/segments on AA metal under the Finnair codeshare flight number at $400 less, using the exact same AA flights that are selling for $1,800. This would mean booking outside AA.com.

I'm trying to think of the disadvantages in doing this, and the only one that jumps out is having the deal with the vendor, rather than AA, for issues like seating. As I have not been through the booking process, it's not clear to me if you have an opportunity to enter an AAdvantage number to even open up better seats.

AA.com indicates I should get full miles and elite bonuses on Finnair flights.

What am I missing? Any hazards in booking the Finnair flights outside of AA.com or in booking the codeshares?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I booked YYZ-JFK-OSL-JFK-YYZ on the Finnair site and had no problem entering my AAdvantage number. Then when it came to selecting seats, the system recognized my OW status and did not charge me [for advanced seat selection] and opened up preferred seats in the economy cabin. So even if you make your booking with Expedia or another booking site, once you have your Finnair record locator you can pull up the booking on the Finnair site and do seat selection, etc. (or enter your AAdvantage number if the booking site did permit this, or re-enter if you were charged for doing this).

jbcarioca and tom911 like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did look at Hotwire and their FAQ says you can enter a FF# there so that may work around the seating issue, at least there. If not, off to the Finnair site as you suggest. I did try to price my route on the Finnair site and they don't sell SFO-BCN. Waiting to hear back from friends on their thoughts. May be as many as 5 of them traveling with me.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Assume you're not trying to upgrade?

Gtitan and jbcarioca like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right now I have enough systemwides left to cover planned winter travel November-February, so upgrading on this trip would not be a priority, though I don't want to rule it out yet. I did check yesterday and availability on the AA flights was not looking good with the four options across the Atlantic showing J0, J5, J6, J7 three weeks out (would want to route JFK-BCN or MIA-BCN). Maybe only one flight there I might have a decent shot at clearing.

I did see one trip with an outside vendor that only had one Finnair segment, across the Atlantic, with all others using the AA flight number, so gather the AA flight numbers could be upgraded and I could be waitlisted. I haven't ruled out using a standard award for myself as I'm sitting pretty good with miles, but everyone else I'm traveling with doesn't have that luxury.

6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a standard award ticket in coach on hold. Paid travel on the same AA flights on AA.com was $2,900 and I wasn't willing to pay that. The Finnair option disappeared this morning and prices all jumped a couple hundred dollars and even those are out of my comfort zone now. I did adjust my travel dates and that seems to have raised the fares, also, no matter what site I check. I'll keep checking in case something better comes along.

My friends have booked on UA. I'm not willing to spend the kind of money they did and only get 50% bonus miles there. For me the better value right now seems to be redeeming miles.

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:

AY has been a fairly solid avenue for getting to the EU for less than AA was offering. Sadly AY joined the AA/BA/IB joint venture across the Atlantic yesterday, which is why your good fare disappeared overnight. AY can now collude and chat with it's OW sisters over the pond about how to price tickets. You should expect significantly less price difference on the AY flights going forward.

Myself and a few others have been warning/chatting about this for awhile, though admittedly I don't really post on MP the way I used to so never got around to making a thread about this issue. This was mostly on Facebook, Twitter, and my blog.

Good luck on your trip!

tom911 likes this.
  8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing I did notice is that seats are disappearing on my flight home from Barcelona (down to J5Y3) so this might work out in my favor in terms of a bump or cabin rollover. I hadn't paid much attention to Finnair in the past as every paid Europe flight for me involved systemwides. Last year, because I hit 3MM, I actually had extras and sponsored two friends on a trip with me. Usually I have just the eight which will cover me for four trips each year.