Any credit card offer to get me a free one way flight from MCI => NY area in August?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by arooni, Jun 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. arooni

arooni Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone!

I need to fly from Kansas City to the New York area August 12th, 2013. I found a one way trip on Airtrans airlines that gets me to Philadelphia (MCI => PHL) for $103 tax/fees included.

I'm wondering if it makes sense just to buy this; or if there's a credit card offer or other strategy that would allow me to get a one way ticket for free. I have excellent credit. What are your thoughts?

I'd like to act on this today or tomorrow. Thanks!

Best,
    David

2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely would not "burn" a credit card app for $103. Do you have any existing miles?

ariosto likes this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well with such short lead time it might be tight to get the points after minimum spend. Alaska will give you quick points on approval but might be tough to do MCI to NYC on Alaska. You might be able to book the flight on AA using Alaska or some other partner. I think I would just buy the ticket as its cheap.

4. arooni

arooni Active Member

Status Points:
    I do have 6,095 LifeMiles (Taca Airlines) that I got from flying from S. America to USA... but seeing as I don't own a mileage card; I don't have any other miles. I'm guessing you need 20-50K miles for a one way ticket.

5. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definittly would not spend a credit card app for $103. Also time is a factor that is not on your side.

Read & learn more on milepoint on how the system can be used to our advantage.

6. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Buy the ticket for $103 on AirTran and don't look back.

7. arooni

arooni Active Member

Status Points:
    Bought the ticket on Delta; same price; one hour less on the layover; and gets me through Cincinnati which has free wifi in the airport, ATL still doesn't it seems. Thanks for your feedback folks!