Any chance of upgrading JFK-NRT-DFW with one evip?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Aktchi, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that JFK-NRT-DFW is a long way from being a connection, but an evip is supposed to be able to upgrade three flights, so is there a chance AA would upgrade the trip with one evip? :)

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Nope. This comes up quite a bit and generally speaking, AA will only upgrade 3 segments in a single direction of travel. You'd have better luck if it was DFW-JFK-NRT even though there's some back tracking going on there. JFK-NRT-DFW is a stretch.

As with everything though, YMMV, but if this was Vegas I'd bet against you.....

3. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Highly unlikely. DFW-JFK-NRT might work (it's at least arguable - I've gotten DCA-DFW-CDG before on a single eVIP), but very unlikely that you'll get two transoceanic segments that might be considered "round trip".

4. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're more likely to get a double upgrade to F than getting 1 evip to count for both directions. Never gonna happen. You can often get away with it on the shorter connecting flights to the long trip, but both directions on the long segment- never.

5. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    From aa.com:
    I don't think you will be able to convince the EXP desk that this is a oneway trip.

Horse likes this.
  6. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's essentially a roundtrip, US-Japan-US. Not exactly a "one way".

Closest I've ever come to using an eVIP that pushed the "one direction" concept was LHR-ORD-DEL.
    Longest use of one (if not that one) I think I've had was LHR-DFW-LAX-NRT.

Microwave likes this.
  7. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Lhr -ord-del works? Nice

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seems odd, but one can't fly AA metal from LHR to DEL without going through the US. If BA ever lets AA members use SWUs on their metal, that might change though.....

9. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good job, both times! At least this captures the spirit of what I was thinking. :)

So, the US has to be the connecting point. Otherwise, it begins to look like a rt (probably because it is a rt!).

10. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, it did at the time. LHR-ORD-DEL, DEL-ORD-LHR. One eVIP each way. Would it work now? Would AA have caught that the TATL portion of the routings are almost identical and start re-thinking it? Who knows....

11. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was told that it's allowed as it's the ONLY way to go from London to Dehli solely on AA metal. A late arrival in ORD left very little time between flights, leaving it feeling like one long, long piece of quality time in a 777, too tired to care upon arrival that landing at DEL late at night meant sleeping on the airport floor before an onward domestic india connection....

12. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, if you're flying AMERICAN airlines then ANY flight you take is likely to have a "US connection. :)

(barring the occasional MVD-EZE and, when it's offered, LHR-BRU, which are about the ONLY flights I can think of that don't involve that....but can't imaagine wasting an eVIP on either, as both are short, very short, as in "Did-they-even-raise-the-landing-gear?" short.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wouldn't have to worry about that too much now. The ORD-DEL flight lands in the late afternoon now. ;)

14. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I meant that if you fly USA-Somewhere-USA, it will be treated as a rt. However, Continent1-USA-Continent2 has much better chance of being accepted as an EVIP'able connection. As your own inspiring examples (post 6) illustrate. :)

15. Plato90s
    Original Member

Plato90s Active Member

Status Points:
    You can book LHR-ORD-PVG as a single ticket and upgrade it with a single eVIP.

But combining both east and west bound from the same airport? Impossible.

Microwave likes this.
  16. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another data point: I can confirm that LHR-ORD/DFW-NRT definitely works

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did you stop over in ORD and make your own way to DFW at a later date and continue on to NRT?

18. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry - I meant that I had done the trip through ORD and through DFW on different occasions (never done LHR-ORD-DFW-NRT). However, as an EVIP is valid for up to 3 segments, should be possible to upgrade that routing all the way as well.

ACMM and Microwave like this.
  19. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suppose one could get creative with US-domestic routings, and add a segment or two here or there, maybe using "mutlicity" or some such mileage run construction technique to "force" a connection...maybe LHR-DFW-SFO-LAX-NRT, or LHR-MIA-ATL-DFW-EZE (just randomly grabbing examples) or what not. Then, if you're an EXP, you might use your complementary domestic upgrade for that portion of the trip, or a 500-mile one if you're Plat or Gold.