Any chance of free 2nd checked bag for DL DM?

Discussion in 'Flying Blue | Air France, KLM/Partners' started by SunAlsoRisesMSP, Jun 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. SunAlsoRisesMSP

SunAlsoRisesMSP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying LHR-CDG-BCN on AF tomorrow -- I see an online discount rate of 45 euros for an extra checked bag. Anyone know if there´s a possibility they´d waive that fee at the airport for a Diamond Medallion?

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you trying to check a third bag? You'll get 2 bags free - af.com often shows it only being one bag and having to pay for the 2nd. However, I can assure you, LHR will check both bags for free. I often fly LHR-CDG-STR and see this happen.

3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always get three for free on AF/KL. I do not think that is unique to the origin/destination (all bags checked anywhere in the world on itineraries that include Brazil or, I think, Israel can weigh 32kg each). Mrs. jbc and I regularly check three each and there is never a question. That is based on my DL DM status, AFAIK.

4. SunAlsoRisesMSP

Status Points:
    Excellent, thanks guys!

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a STE+, you get one bag more than what the ticket would allow. So if you're on a 'Mini' fare, you get one bag free as a STE+, you get 2 bag if you're on a classic fare (presuming you are in Y). On the same route in J, you'd get a total of 3 free bags.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. SunAlsoRisesMSP

Status Points:
    As intimated by others, there was no issue at LHR and they checked both bags free of charge without question. I was only concerned since the AF website indicated I had to pay.

Thanks all for the info!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AF leaves something to be desired. If you you tell AF the route/cabin, you get the "free bags" quota. But then, if you go to the "fine print" you'll find STE+ gets another bag beyond what is on the "quota."

jbcarioca likes this.