Any chance at compensation

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by sheri826, Apr 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sheri826

sheri826 Member

Status Points:
    My husband and I had plans to go to San Antonio from chicago last weekend. We were on a full plane but because of machanical difficulties, we had to change planes. The second plane was a bit smaller and the gate agent asked for 2 people to be bumped for a $500 voucher and the next flight out, which was 8 AM the next morning on a United flight. My husband and I decided to take them up on the offer, after all, we'd just be loosing a few hours. The gate agent was very nice and very quick and got us info and vouchers for the 8 AM flight and a hotel voucher.

The next morning at the United counter we were told that we had not been confirmed on that flight and that there were no seats left. They sent us back to the American counter.

The customer service person said that the gate agent had not waited an extra 60 seconds to make sure that the flight was confirmed and the only way she could get us to San Antonio was with a layover in Dallas, getting us there at 5 pm on Friday afternoon. This was unacceptable to us since we were returning home noon on Sunday. She was able to give us a voucher for the full amount of our ticket.

I am mad that I lost out on a wonderful weekend with my husband in a city that we love. I have e-mailed AA what happened but have yet heard from their customer service department. What are my changed at some type of compensation for my lost vacation? If I had any idea that this could possibly happen I would have NEVER given up my seats.

Any suggestions as to a better way to contact AA other than the e-mail via their website?

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can try, but I doubt you'll have too much luck because you did accept the first offer and then actually received a full ticket refund in addition. That sounds like quite good compensation to me, very generous in fact given the circumstances as you describe them.

3. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You got a refund and a hotel, what more do you want?

4. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you got a $500 bump, hotel voucher, and you're ticket refunded I don't think they will give you anything more, if you're EXP/CK maybe you get a few miles. I personally would just move on.

5. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    I love hearing that announcement "the flight is over sold, anybody willing to......." That means free (or deeply discounted) flights for me later (while still racking up more miles for even more trips)

6. sheri826

sheri826 Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I was willing to be bumped and get to my weekend getaway a morning later but I didn't want to NOT go. The customer service agent agreed that we got a bum deal. We didn't get a refund, we got a voucher that we HAVE to use. If they would have refunded my credit card I wouldn't be so miffed.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Deleted

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    a
    why did u accept a voucher instead of a refund?
    I think it is entirely reasonable to ask for the refund to your cc, so maybe contacting cs with this request is your best bet. good luck.

PointsCashMiles and jbcarioca like this.
  9. sheri826

sheri826 Member

Status Points:
    The customer service girl said that she could only give us a voucher. I guess I should have put up more of a stink to get a refund

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    I still don't see the issue (other than not getting to visit San Antonio.). You each got a $250 voucher , another voucher for the cost of your ticket and a free hotel. Just re-book for a later date and enjoy your weekend. (I'll be there myself on May 2 for a concert) Then take the other vouchers and enjoy a nice weekend in San Francisco. :)

AnthonyB1609, wrxmom and jbcarioca like this.
  11. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry you were stuck in this situation.

In signing the voucher, you usually release all future claims against the airline for schedule problems. Check for that.

wrxmom, TheBeerHunter and jbcarioca like this.
  12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you accepted the complete refund of your ticket, you gave up your rights to any further compensation. You can book another weekend in San Antonio, and you have $500 to apply to future tickets to somewhere. I would advise you to let it go, figure out another weekend to go to San Antonio, and then think about where you will go with the $500.

Gaucho, wrxmom and jbcarioca like this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OT.... but, is it customary for you to get mileage for a flight that you agree to be bumped...?

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. sheri826

sheri826 Member

Status Points:
    I agreed to get bumped for the $500 vouchers, I didn't agree to loose my weekend away for a $362 voucher. I would hope that they'd offer something in good faith. Afterall, we seldom fly any other carrier except American

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No. Typically you'd get bumped by AA and they'd rebook you on the next AA flight, so you'd end up with the same miles.

Sometimes folks ask for original routing credit if the rebooking takes them on another route with less miles, which often AA does grant.

As for taking a bump, getting the mileage for the bumped flight, AND getting the mileage for the rebooked flight? Nope.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you fly only with American, do you have elite status with them? Did AA acknowledge when you called them about the issue with UA that the ticket issue was a mistake on AA's part?

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. JNB280

JNB280 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must be daft, but can you confirm you received one (or two?) $500 vouchers in addition to a full refund.

wrxmom, TheBeerHunter and jbcarioca like this.
  18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I might be misreading but I believe the 2 vouchers are for the OP and husband. So 1 each. Plus a full refund of their tickets.

wrxmom and jbcarioca like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    However one views this AA made a very generous settlement. It should be viewed as generous not any possibility for even more. After all, the OP volunteered!

wrxmom and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the OP's irk is that the volunteering was based on being on a flight the next AM, and AA screwed that up too. I'm not sure why OP was told that 5pm was the only option given flight frequencies, but even a flight to Austin would have worked if OP had and could change a car rental reservation since Austin is a little more than an hour from SAT.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, the red flag went up when the next morning flight was on a different airline. In hind site, the thing to have done was go to the UA counter and confirm what AA indicated they had done. Looking at if from a different angle, AA gave each person a voucher for $500.00, then had to pay UA for the morning flight. A red flag right there. $1K in vouchers and a ticket on a competing airline? Don't think so. Then the Q would be, doesn't AA have any early morning flights? Have to think they do. Then a refund for the price of the original ticket that is less than $300. So the OP gets close to $1,600 in compensation? Not a bad deal, IMO. I might ask, where does the line form for that? I'd love to be in it. San Antonio will still be the same in the next year, and AA will pay for that trip 2 or 3 times over, and give you miles to boot!

jbcarioca and wrxmom like this.