Any Advice for LAX-NRT-SIN on UA?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bungalow1225, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bungalow1225

bungalow1225 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am heading to Singapore next weekend, and booked online via UA's site. Purchased r/t E+ (K and S outbound, S and L) return. Requested upgrade with money + miles right away and expect to be waitlisted til I check in at a kiosk on day of departure. I did this exact itinerary last summer and got the upgrades ($500 + miles each way).

I figure I'll just wait and cross my fingers, but is there any advice from the experts here as to what I might do in addition/instead to get the upgrade to business? Any other advice, in general, about these flights?

FYI, I am Premier Exec. w/ 85k award miles in the bank.

2. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems you've done just about everything, except maybe for considering upgrade for cash if offered.

As a 1K, I can't get any sort of special consideration, so that probably means the same for you as a 1P. Only global services has further options and even those are mainly for upgrading from C to F.

bungalow1225 likes this.
  3. bungalow1225

Status Points:
    Thanks Richard. I'm set to check in 23 hours and 59 seconds before departure time, in case that places me a spot higher than the other 1Ps on the list. Fingers crossed.

4. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe after the list goes to departure management (ie, within 4 hours), the priority of th list becomes status, fare, then check-in time, So i don't think Checking early will increase your chances by that much at all.

5. I actually did check in for a BKK to NRT to ORD flight at 23:59. As it turns out, I was upgraded (I am a 1K) all the way, and the person sitting next to me taking the same route was only upgraded to NRT. He waited until a few hours before the flight to check in. Could have been a coincidence, but you never know.

Are you a Red Carpet Club member? If you are, I would get to the airport early and go there. On several occasions, I've had the agents there do something that I thought was impossible.

You are lucky in one sense, though. I've found that LAX to NRT and SEA to NRT are the two easiest routes on which to be upgraded. Definitely better than SFO to NRT.

6. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely bring some cloth in your carryon and have a shower at the NH lounge at NRT to refresh yourself. And then enjoy the great snacks (and the noodle bar) there before your flight to BKK.

7. FrequentlyFlying
    Original Member

FrequentlyFlying Silver Member

Status Points:
    While true that check-in time is the third tier, I'd hate to miss out on an upgrade if it came down to it, so I'll always OLCI 24 hours out. Every little bit helps [​IMG]

8. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could also shower at the RCC at NRT if it's more convenient to your gates (as it often is for UA-UA connections). I am a huge fan of the NH lounges at NRT. That said, I have used the showers at the RCC and they were quite nice. I had to pinch myself and remind myself that I was actually in a Red Carpet Club.

9. bungalow1225

Status Points:
    I'm all about the beer machine in the RCC at NRT. Thank to everyone for the helpful pointers! I'm in the LAX RCC now, sans upgrade. The ticket agent at the premium check in T6 told me I'm down at #11 and they're under by 3 seats up front. Don't think I'll make it...

10. bungalow1225

Status Points:
    Update!

Madisonman, this was great advice. I spoke with Agnes here in the RCC and she pounded on that keyboard for almost ten minutes. I didn't interrupt her, and she talked to herself the whole time. I don't know what she was doing, but it worked. She gave me the last seat in C and indicated I'm good for NRT-SIN but that it won't be confirmed until I'm at the gate in Tokyo (we'll see about that).

Thanks again.