anti-trust suit filed to block the merger

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by viguera, Aug 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is......AWESOME. Living out here in Hawaii, US is the only thing keeping prices halfway sane.

meFIRST and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps there is a glimmer of hope, after all. I really don't see how a mash-up of two of the worst airlines in the industry could be a good thing for consumers. I'll admit that I'm a US Airways loyalist, but it's primarily driven based on where I live and I where I frequently fly to - not to mention the shear size of the *A that makes international travel a breeze (relatively speaking, of course).

The issue of overlapping routes shouldn't be examined just from the non-stop/direct perspective. The majority of passengers departing from RIC have to make a connection to get to their final destination regardless of the airline they fly. So although the connection city might be different, there is significant overlap between the origin and final destination. A significant amount of competition would evaporate if these two airlines merge, which would lead to higher prices.

LETTERBOY and avflyer like this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good thread on this going in the AA forum for those that care.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Weird how the AA forum is getting by far the most traffic.

6. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think AA has 2x or more FF members. So even a small % of those that care are more likely to be following AA news compared to the number of folks who follow US Airways news.

LETTERBOY and avflyer like this.
  7. redbroccoli

redbroccoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder how they will deal with the switch to OW.
    Will they proceed with the early 2014 (or even November 2013 IIRC) schedule?

8. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No merger, no switch.

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I recall someone mentioning that US has already started the process of leaving Star. I'm not sure how they'd fend off without an alliance -- perhaps through just codeshares as others do -- if the merger doesn't go through.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

I think it's not as likely, but it's definitely not out. There are benefits to US joining 1W vs staying in *A... especially being a stronger partner in the alliance vs. the weakest partner in Star. It then becomes a matter of routes, codesharing, and network extension as well as changes to O/D traffic based on other 1W carrier's endpoints.

11. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    They had, but the termination mechanism was likely to be change of control. With that gone, I think it would be contractual breach.

HeathrowGuy likes this.