[Answered] Will MP become a clone of FT ?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by milchap, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    almost same gang migrating here.....

same forums....even a version of Omni

What is the dilfference?

Apart from the statement that is meant to be a friendly place....and more glitzy as a website.

2. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy is here !!!!!

3. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could well happen. We're all going to make it what it will be, and that is one possibility. Many here who were on FT for a long time didn't like aspects of that site, and will endeavor to do things differently here. I know I will. Will it work? Time will tell.

As for OMNI, I would expect that to be similar to the OMNI on FT. And I see no problem with that. It's a place to talk about whatever. And I don't expect a different set of "whatevers" here. For those who want to go to OMNI, they can decide if it meets their needs. I didn't go there on FT, and won't here, so I'll be concerned with helping to make the information forums a better place.

The difference is that we all have a better idea of what we like and don't like. Do we have the wisdom and ability to translate that into a tangible difference in the site? Ask me in a year :)

Cheers.

4. mwg25
    Original Member

mwg25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it seems very likely that MP will become a bigger, glitzier clone of FT - the content-driven forums combined with lots of new, mostly social-network-esque features.

The question is whether there will be a purpose for FT after MP achieves its goals. Or whether there should be.

5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's really it. Many things look promising. It's certainly not the total opposite, but many changes and adjustments that just might result in a much better site. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating ...

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The question may not be politically correct but it has to asked. I am sure that I am not the only one to ponder on that point.

If MP is to become a brand, it has to differentiate itself from other sites.

7. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends. Content wise I don't see any advantage of MP over FT.

But FT is no longer being developed (apart from maximizing the ad revenue). Since the makers of this forum are listening to the community, it will hopefully become a much more convenient place.

The "Meetups" page is a great addition already.

8. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the look & feel here. And of course the social media implementations.

9. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe that it has to. It can very well do the same thing, only better, or with more clout, and succeed. When the only browser was Netscape, Microsoft decided to get into the browser area. They came out with a decidedly inferior product, but they were Microsoft and took considerable share away from Netscape. Did the same basic thing, but not even as well.

So, if MP does the same thing as FT, but better (or even the same) it can be quite successful and even supplant FT. Especially as bogged down as that one has become.

Randy started FT and did a pretty good job. Just from a couple of days here, it is clear that he's learned a lot from that - both the positives and the mistakes made - and brought it here.

I don't think that this has to be substantially different (although it may well turn out to be). It can well do the same thing,just better,and be very successful.

Cheers.

gemac likes this.
  10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is my conclusion at this early stage. I will however keep an open mind.

11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure I agree 100% ... I think anytime you have a fresh start you have a chance to do things a little differently. FT has become entrenched in so many things I find unappealing, I am hoping we do not see similar on some of the forums here, but only time will tell I guess.

Of course content wise it cannot be compared. However we all have to realize this is just out-of-the-gate and this will be as good content wise, or not as we make it.

This is a place we can make work and leave the baggage of FT behind us. At least that is how I am viewing this.

12. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    My hope is that this will be a more friendly place for people to post. Thankfully, since this is new, the standard "use the search" response will take awhile before it rears its ugly head.

13. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like always when people start something they have more power and strength they invest in a new project. So it looks like we can be here a new strong community. And for me there is no question MP or FT. I think the we counts.

14. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am asking the question because MP has to offer something different from other sites in order to succeed.

Frequent flyers are not lemmings who migrate to travel sites for any reason...

What does MP have to offer that others don't offer?

Inquiring minds may want to know

15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly for me if i can get the basic same information I would come here. I am just too tired of the same old chaff on fT - maybe that is one of the differentiators - This is a No Chaff Zone? NCF? :)

The trick, of course, or goal should I say, will be to keep it that way. That in itself will be a key differentiator for me.

16. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    FT was based on the 1999 concept of the web, this pulls in the 2011 social networking web, so it's a different generation. We interact online very differently now than we did even 4 years ago. Social networking seems to be more built in. For example, the conversation feature is several steps forward from the old PM used in the other ibb format. Other features, plus the clean interface design, pull it into the current decade.

MarkUK, lin821 and LFCorsten like this.
  17. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good discussion....

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting analogy. In the browser wars today we don't have one winner. We have several major players (lets say for argument sake IE, Firefox, Chrome) and some minor ones. Do you think the same can work here, i.e., could you forsee a split of the community in 2+ camps?

I haven't been on FT as long as many others (Dec 2006). While I have always found incredibly valuable as a resource, technology-wise it seemed stuck in the early 2000s, with no direction for the future. It seems we might have re-discovered that direction now.

19. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely true

20. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Actually MilePoint is trying to be itself. We've decided to invest and stay abreast of technology that can make the members experience a positive one, much like any other travel or online venture. And if Omni is the method of comparison, I have noted that FatWallet has an off topic forum and so does Fodors and the list goes on. My guess that having an off topic forum wasn't designed by them to have any comparison to FlyerTalk. You might say it is similar to Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz. Should there have been only a single online travel agency? I meet people daily that have preferences and many more, as I assume that there are other frequent flyers that prefer the many more other websites like CanFlyer and Traveling Better than just FlyerTalk already. This is just a Beta to help develop content and test a few concepts—nothing more. What we develop into over the ensuing years both in the quality of the content and the flavor of the community will be defined within the pages of MilePoint. I for one and there are many, remain extremely proud of FlyerTalk and how it has helped many (not all) with increasing the knowledge of their travel IQ in the areas of miles and points. So I don't personally find the need to define a comparison. If there is a difference, it's in the subtleness of its roots—MilePoint came about because any number of frequent flyers came forth and thought that they had some ideas of what was needed to build a more perfect travel community and it wasn't being heard anywhere else. There's something to be said for grassroot efforts like that. My greatest moment of so far? That the frequent flyers whose idea this has evolved from didn't say they wanted to create 'another' community. They didn't say they wanted to create a 'better' community. They had no aspirations other than they wanted to create a 'great' community and from that point forward, I like that goal. With that in mind, we start with attitude and we start by defining the tools that can assist in that goal. Friendly always resonates with me, and I welcome your efforts to assist us (which includes you) to stay on that goal. As for a comparison, how about you may be able to stake claim that you helped build TWO great travel communities, now that's saying something!

21. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new technology is impressive and beats FT by a mile.

Speedster1978 likes this.
  22. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Obviously, from an information standpoint, the introduction of the integrated social networking aspect is a net negative. I mean it's cool and all, but the facebook and twitishness does not enhance information exchange, and probably sets it back somewhat. Fortunately, things seem configurable enough that those that want to avoid the fluff aspects and focus on content can do just that. Those that want chats, meetups and twits can do that as well. Information and social networking can both exist here.

Cheers,

CdnFlier and gemac like this.
  23. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only been here a couple of days, but this is the message I've really gotten so far in being here. Trying to make a comparison misses the point of the new forum. It is going to be what it is going to be. It will not be defined by being like, or unlike, FT,TB or any other site. I expect that some things will, naturally, look the same,others won't. But the comparison won't (shouldn't matter). I will be what we make it.

Off to a good start, IMO.

Cheers,

gemac and ACMM like this.
  24. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Randy for the response.

Let be clear in my intent on starting this thread. I wanted to help flush out the originality of the founding concept. Having been on FT for practically more than 10 years and 19k posts, I am well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of FT. I am grateful for the community that has nurtured my growth as a frequent flyer.

I am also here in the beginnings to help build a new community founded on the principles that you stated in the post above.

In my very first career, I was a teacher and I was known in my high school to be a teacher who challenged the status quo and dared ask the hard questions.

My initial post was to ask why should we support this new initiative and what is the uniqueness of this site.

And yes I am proud to be associated with two great communities !

25. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have purposely been posting on milepoint.com differently than the way I would normally post on FlyerTalk, as I do not believe the intent of milepoint.com is to be FlyerTalk 2.0.

In some ways, it is rather refreshing to be a new member who is not a moderator, to not have to wade through content posted millions of times, and to be a part of a community in its nascent “honeymoon” phase where all is going quite well when things are exciting and fresh. This site will eventually be tested, such as when the first person posts content purposely meant to be antagonistic — and, unfortunately, it will happen.

However, as Randy Petersen eloquently pointed out, milepoint.com and FlyerTalk are merely parts of an overall community of frequent fliers. I personally do not see them as competing Internet bulletin board forums. In fact, when milepoint.com eventually finds its intended direction, which is being left up to its members, it may be vastly different than FlyerTalk. The intent, as I understand it, is to have information be as accessible as possible in an environment conducive to respect and friendliness in the overall community.

Brit, MarkUK, Shuttle-Bored and 4 others like this.