[Answered] Wiki editing question: support for anchors

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by thewinchester, Apr 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't know where to place this thread, so please redirect me to the right location if it isn't here.

From the looks of it, the Wiki and specifically the BBCode implimentation does not appear to support the use of anchors.

Is this the case, and if so how do we go about requesting this support to be added?

I ask because some of the master property thread listings are getting quite long - so I would like to add an alphabetical browser at the top of these pages. This means that rather than having to use find in the browser or scroll through the page, the user can click on the First letter for the country in question they seek, and speed up the process of getting to the intended information.

lin821 and ACMM like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unsure which thread you are referring to, however would you not be able to simply use the post number of the post (s) and then be able to go directly to those posts in that manner - one per every anchor you want?

3. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Further note on the tech aspect, tried this authoring HTML code, and then taking an educated guess at what BBCode might be used for this purpose (and also checking Google to see if there was official BBCode syntax for it). Sadly, neither method worked.

In the concept of the wiki, or more specifically web pages and the HTML code used to construct them, anchors are named points within each page which allow the user to jump directly to a specific section of the page. The wiki doesn't work in the same way as the forums.

Within the forum, each post within it has a unique ID, therefore each post can easily be linked to. When that link is loaded within a users web browser, the forum software knows the post ID from the information passed in the address, and 'jumps' the user to the specific post by automatically rendering anchors in the page seen by you.

In the case of the wiki, each page or article within it is a big block of text, formatted using either BBCode or HTML. As such, the entire article has an address for linking to. Chunks of content form part of the article, and unlike posts can't be jumped to without coding in an anchor.

Hope that made sense.

lin821 likes this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    sorry I missed the fact you wanted this on a wiki ,.. mea culpa ... I am familiar with the workings of wikis as I own many outside of MP and anchor points within a wiki page are also very familiar to me. I misread your post.

lin821 likes this.
  5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The wiki parsing of bbcode here uses the headings (h2 through h5, h1 is taken for some reason) to build anchor jumps. You can look at some of the wiki pages I created in the UA wiki to see an example of how it works.

Tim and lin821 like this.
  6. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes good point - again I was not thinking - we have used this in the Air Canada wiki successfully, Thanks for the reminder.

7. thewinchester
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yep, can see this works as intended.

To make sure this feature is more widely known, the BB Codes help page needs to be updated to add H1...H5 tag information for wiki, and that this will cause a TOC and anchors to be generated on pages where this is used.

ACMM and lin821 like this.