[Answered] "What's New?" updating issues

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by jbcarioca, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    A half hour or so ago I made posts in three locations . The locations were:
    Destination Travel: Central/South America
    Airlines/Other Airlines: South America
    Emirates/Skywards

None of those show up in What's New, although a fair number of Off Topic threads did. Is there a problem?

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I actually see you being related to five "Newly Created Topics" in the listing on forum front page. By chance were you glancing at "Trending Topics" instead? New topics typically do not appear in trending topics if at all until there is a combination of being viewed and posted to so were topics typically take longer to become trending. But at time of my post I did see five new threads of yours listed in "Newly Created Topics"

3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only went to What's New? for this one. All of them were in the other locations. I do understand trending topics requires critical mass. Thanks for your very quick response.

4. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    It sounds like you are talking about about the "What's New" page jbcarioca. There are a few things that I think could be the cause of you thinking your topic wasn't showing (I'm pretty sure it was). When you click into the What's New page the threads displayed are only ones that are not read by you, if you were looking for a thread you had posted that hadn't been replied to then it would not show up there for you, but would for other people as you had read it already. There is a link that is on the What's New page that shows all new things regardless of if you have read them or not that is linked as "All Recent Messages", if you were to have clicked on that it would have likely shown your threads you had posted.

The second possible hangup, is that What's New pages are cached like searches, so if you just refresh a What's New page it won't always give you the most up to date page as it is passing an id. Clicking the What's New link again on the site though will get you a fresh refresh of that page always. Hope that helps! Thanks.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously that was it. I should have known that! Thanks, Tim.