[Answered] What makes a thread "Trending" on the main page?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Wandering Aramean, Mar 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm at a loss for how a thread with no "likes" and only two replies in 24 hours can be considered "trending." Something in the logic seems to be amiss.

2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Pageviews for the topic have a lot to do with trending status so I'm betting the topic you are talking about has been looked at a few times. :)

Chimpy likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So I'm guessing I wasn't helping the situation because I kept clicking on that to see what new news has been added. And none was.

Can we maybe have the trending column show the time of the last post instead of when the thread was created? That would be more useful in terms of helping me as a user decide if I should take a look at it or not.

ETA: The thread in question has fewer than 100 views. That doesn't seem "trending" to me.

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be related to the number of views or posts in the very recent past?

Chimpy likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe. I have no idea what the metrics are. But I find it hard to believe that 22 hours after it was started a thread with 2 replies, 88 views and no likes should actually be considered "trending" in any way. I'm sure there were other threads that had more views, likes and replies in that period of time.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Another example this afternoon...a 22 hour old thread with 81 views and 2 replies is second highest on the trending list. I cannot help but think that something is wrong in the algorithm.