[Answered] what is the difference between MP's Community Center & Meetups ?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Sweet Willie, Aug 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been posting dinner get togethers under Community Center but after looking at the Meetups forum, I'm thinking the dinner posts should go there.

Can someone clarify what the difference is between Community Center & Meetups?

2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    The idea behind the meetups is to list out meetup/get together events and any information related to an even in a calendar format that you can easily see what is coming up and what dates it falls on.

I think the idea behind Community Center is that it is for discussing anything and everything community related, so it could be an event that is listed under meetups that is being discussed in Community Center or other things related to community could be discussed there as well.

Hope that helps some. :)

3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    it does, thank you, I should clearly be posting a dinner in meetups & the calendar function (the calendar I didn't even know existed:eek:)

How can I get a thread from Community Center transferred to the Meetups forum? (Or should I just start a new thread in Meetups?)

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If people paid attention to it, the Meetups listing could be a convenient spot to keep an up-to-date list of RSVPs as well as giving participants logistical details without making them search through the tread for basic what/when/where/transportation/hotels/etc. information.

A few days ago someone reported that he didn't have sufficient status to set up a new Meetups listing; it might have been automatically queued for approval. I don't know what the criteria are.

5. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I don't think that there is a good way to move a thread into the meetups because of the non standard thread information included like the map, rsvps, etc.

It is probably best to create a fresh meetup event and then in the event description or in the or the first post link to the thread where discussion has already started.