[Answered] Web Page Font/Color

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by euromannn, Apr 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    I'm using a Safari browser and have difficulty seeing the font that is displayed in pastel color superimposed on lighter pastel background on the main page.

The main page left side looks good with pastel color butt he font appears bigger and in bold so easy to read. However, the middle and right side of the page are more difficult and seem to have blue super imposed on blue background.

Also the avatar which uses white on top of light blue pastel is also not clear. Maybe black on light blue for better contrast?

Black on white when posting works well but the main page seems a bit hard to read.

Would be nice if the contrast between front/background colors were higher intensity.

Is it just my browser or do others also see this?

Thanks

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    It could have to do with your browser or possibly to do with your monitor and or monitor settings. These areas you mention are pretty easy to read for me.

3. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, in Firefox 4 the light gray member status within the light blue wrap banner below the avatars is not very high contrast. (Which explains why I ranted in another thread.)

The green page and "Go To First Unread" buttons are also pretty low contrast.

Maybe some of these areas are easier for Tim to read because he hasn't hit 40 yet. :D :D :D

(We really, really need a way to customize colors in mp.)

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For me, the contrast issue is not as worrisome as the baby blue Rite Aid drugstore theme. :D :D :D And the blue being used doesn't mesh well with the green being used on some of the buttons. Green and blue together is kind of hip these days - see Piers Morgan's show on CNN - but you have to get the colors right

6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about posting a pic of how the web page looks from your browser?
    I've varied my browser font settings with minimal improvement.

It's the contract of pastel blue on light blue that impedes readability.

Can you clearly read "original member" text in my pic next to my message? I barely can!

7. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    example.png
    I'm not seeing your screenshot, but here is mine. Pretty clearly readable to me, and also one of those things that you don't really re-read as it always says the same thing.

8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There is a subtle but clear difference between your screen cap and what I see on my screen. Yours is crisper, more contrast.

contrast-screen-cap.jpg

9. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mine (the one I posted) and mine that you edited look quite different to me too. I'm guessing that mine that you edited and yours are both not really representative of what you are seeing.

I do see a difference in the the font looks there between the two for sure, though they both look equally readable, Macs just render fonts differently than Windows computers though, that is the difference there. Here is a clipping from a Windows screenshot I just took:

example_windows.png

10. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Euromann, do you have ClearType enabled and optimized on your 'puter? That might help.

Even so, it's apparent that even on Tim's system, the whitish "Original Member" is washed out against the binky blue background.

11. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cleartype I think is a Windows term. I have a MAC running Safari browser but I think the term is now quartz in
    preferences-->appearance.

My main issue is the home page and not seeing the text clearly in the middle and right columns. I can read it but it's not user friendly due to the pastel colors and font type.

I also viewed this in Firefox and it shows the text issues the same as I see in safari.

Anyway, I posted this to see if others are having issues. I think it' a combination of font/colors/background
    and thought most would have issues.

12. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went to th Apple Store to ask if either of my browser could be adjusted to give better clarity but was
    told this issue is controlled by the webmaster.

Thus I cannot make adjustments on my end to improve the text readability issues.

[quo

te="Tim, post: 313100"][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mine (the one I posted) and mine that you edited look quite different to me too. I'm guessing that mine that you edited and yours are both not really representative of what you are seeing.

I do see a difference in the the font looks there between the two for sure, though they both look equally readable, Macs just render fonts differently than Windows computers though, that is the difference there. Here is a clipping from a Windows screenshot I just took:

View attachment 7924 [/quote]

13. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are people aware that on a Mac the font sizes, including the Original Member, euromann, and Silver Member can be enlarged one size by pressing command-= and reduced with command--? (That's the command key and the equal key; and the command and hyphen keys.) You can actually make things way too huge:

aaa.jpg

This adds greatly to clarity. I believe there's a similar way to do it on a PC, too.

14. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    The browser can be enlarged but then part of the page is not shown depending on the size you need.

The browser cannot be configured with a default setting to make this enlargement work as it's controlled by the webmaster not the browser per Apple store.

Yes, I know all about "applekey +key" and "control-option-apple-8 keys" for enlargement but this cannot configuredas
    as the default setting for this type of web page.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is (Ctrl-= and Ctrl--) but that only changes the size, not the contrast.

The blues bleed together, as do the whites and light grays that are used for names and post dates under the thread titles. A bit more contrast between the colors, particularly for brighter monitors where the whites are more significant, would be useful IMO.

16. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about that. I increased the size on one MP page by a couple of points several months ago and it applies for all MP pages even through shutdowns.