[Answered] To feed or not to feed? Destination Travel forums filling up.

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by NorFlyer, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NorFlyer
    Original Member

NorFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The newsfeed NileGuide is filling up the Destination-forums (esp. Europe and California). Don't think it is a good suggestion to mix user-created threads and news-feeds. Makes it hard to contribute as the benefit/noise ratio quickly get very low if the news-feed is active. If the news-feed content is low-value, and the news-feed is to active the forum will soon be killed.

Would suggest to split it in separate sub-forums to make a better separation on news-feed-created-threads and user-created-threads content. If not - be careful with to much feed until the traffic gains more speed.

G_G, BondAir007, Sarah and 3 others like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like mixing the feed with the user content in general and I think that the sources that have been chosen - NileGuide & BoardingArea are the first couple I've seen - are probably going to be relatively high on the S:N ratio. My concern would be rate limiting the number of threads that can be started by any of those feeds in any one period. If NileGuide is pumping 50/day in a forum then it doesn't matter how good the other content is; it will always be lost. If it is 3-5/day then that's a different story. It is hard to tell right now how much of this is just the initial seed of the data versus typical day-to-day experiences.

Mackieman likes this.
  3. NorFlyer
    Original Member

NorFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also noticed that ExpertFlyer have created 5 threads. 4 have the title "Did you know...?". Should also look into that when adjusting the feeds.

G_G likes this.
  4. I consider those feeds disrupting, so I'd like to have them in seperate sections. Feeds are in no way part of a community and its exchange.

Newburg likes this.
  5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. A lot of good discussion can be fostered by having a semi-centralized list of feeds where information the community at large might not otherwise see is presented, and is then available for discussion. It seems, to me at least, to be a little more than just a raw news feed.

That said, I agree with He Who Wanders above there that overdoing it is probably not good, but that may flesh itself out over the coming days.

Jamie likes this.
  6. Thanks for the good input

The idea of setting up the feeds was to get input from the community in this beta test, with the hope that we could find some good sources of topics to discuss here in this community.

The question of how often do we post this has come up and we would love to find out from the community what might be a good frequency

again thanks for all your input.

7. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    As for the feeds. It is just a test. What you see is a feed from in some cases a month of backfill as we were testing. We think that over time with the normal member contributions, that these feeds will just drop into the background, good for enrichment, but that the member threads will still be the stars. I wish there was a way to move forward a year to see how they look within populated forums, but i just can't and hope we'll be able to adjust and make those decisions on some of these test items once they have become part of forum. Hope that makes sense and thanks for the patience and feedback for these tests.

Mackieman likes this.
  8. Newsfeeds don't answer me if I reply to them, do they? So they ain't really part of the community, which is real people asking individual questions, posting individual answers, giving advice and making fun. Feeds are great, but they aren't persons, they aren't involved in the community. I'd like to have them in a seperate feed sections, such as blogs belong in a blog section. Neither feeds nor blogs nor chats are forum discussions, hence the need to seperate all these different forms of communication and interaction.

9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But is that a feed, or manually posted by ExpertFlyer?

10. tosc
    Original Member

tosc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the inclusion of some interesting feeds in general. If the sources are well chosen it'll help in getting interesting topics to MP which no one else would've started otherwise. It's an experiment as Randy pointed out, it might be useful to separate them into own sections or an own news-subforum - time will tell.

11. NorFlyer
    Original Member

NorFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thr profile say Newsfeed.

G_G likes this.
  12. The Missy
    Original Member

The Missy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Add me to the list of people who would like to see the Newsfeeds be in a separate subforum. It would also be a good place for members to post destination related articles that they've come across.

lin821 and Lalala like this.
  13. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Missy.

14. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    But the newsfeed could trigger the discussion which other community members (who are not automated) could respond to and discuss

15. Chris_Li
    Original Member

Chris_Li Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I feel it's OK until it's too much. Look at the Asia part it's simply flooded with feed.

I think we should split it into 2 part: for feeds it display 5 feeds @ top of page, and discussion goes after that (or vice versa), then if someone start to discuss on it, it moves from the feed to the discussion part

If this is a news site I think it's fine, but I would think MilePoint is sort of hybrid site which we value discussion more than news?

kiwi and lin821 like this.
  16. Is NileGuide affiliated with the Petersen empire?

17. resipsa99
    Original Member

resipsa99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It might be inhibiting participation...I was looking to see if there was a place for tips on various airports, and when I searched Vancouver, a whole bunch of posts by Nilefeed came up. I didn't realize it was an automated feed, but it didn't look like a community, so I didn't bother looking through them and didn't bother adding anything. Just my 2 cents added to the rest... I can see how it would be hard to predict how it would evolve over time.