[Answered] The value of the "likes" for status

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by charlilo, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am questionning the value of the "like system". Not that I don't want being able to like some post, or some of mine being liked as well, this is good. But the weight given to these "likes" could raise some credibility problems. Two (or five, or six) friends could "like" each other's posts each and everytime they do post, and then gain very fast status. Or maybe I'm getting it wrong?

NewGamePlus, Gaucho, loadera and 4 others like this.
  2. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish that I had five or six friends to like my posts when I started. :) I did find though that as you post more, there is no shortage of likes, it is a very compelling community to belong to.

magic111, shane, Gaucho and 4 others like this.
  3. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, and will probably give you a like ! What I meant was not to give a start, to manifest some appreciation, or to approve. I was speaking about an organized system that would have deprived the "like" system from its original meaning and purpose.

Gaucho, loadera and Chimpy like this.
  4. jeff3380
    Original Member

jeff3380 Silver Member

Status Points:
    unless possibly there could be a difference between a "like" button and a "found useful" button? i know facebook made the like button popular - is it just so that you can like something directly through facebook? otherwise i think the found useful button might be an interesting idea.

charlilo likes this.
  5. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm...I think some of us who have been adjusting to program changes (UniCon, DeltaWest, etc) would benefit from a "Found useful despite not liking it" button.

Seriously though, I think its going to be fun to see how Likes affect posting and how this new functionality can be utilized to enhance both the community and the information quality.

6. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The early stages give points and attaboys easily, encouraging participation. As time goes on and you get more points, each step requires more and more effort. If the algorithm that grants points is designed well enough, it will encourage adding content and contributing to a sense of community. That seems to be the intention, a system that constantly improves the site and builds upon itself.

There is clearly a weighting system for points, and that will be tweaked with time. Perhaps more points for getting posts quoted, or more points if you get 1 like from each of 100 people than if you get 200 likes, but they just come from four people. We don't know, but we can enjoy it anyway.

lin821, NewGamePlus, charlilo and 2 others like this.
  7. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure, the "I want to be liked" thread seems pretty silly, and maybe a little subversive. Some of us are having a lot of fun over there though, and I think there is some value in terms of building the community.

Freddie Listo, Gaucho and charlilo like this.
  8. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    The almighty algorithm could be adjusted to reduce the value of likes in some fora or threads or even weighted to value likes from certain status people or ignore once you got a certain amount from one person.

cockpitvisit, Gargoyle and charlilo like this.
  9. cockpitvisit
    Original Member

cockpitvisit Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am pretty sure there will be additional constraints for status once MP gets officially launched. E.g. you would have to be a member for X months, and would need to get likes from at least Y different forum members. This would render all cross-liking useless, since you would have to wait for status anyway.

I think that once offtopic forums/threads are excluded from bringing status points and such additional constraints brought in, we will have a very rewarding system. For me personally, getting "likes" for meaningful posts I write is much more rewarding than the status, but exploiting the system is of course fun too :)

As for the few status whores who are collecting lots of status points with shady practices, they are helping thest the performance of MP, so I think they deserved the little bit of precios metal ;)

tahewett, Gargoyle and aitchly like this.
  10. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually my concerns are more about the future, after the official launch. Right now, it seems that everybody has a great time. Let's enjoy before the Big Serious Thing.

aitchly likes this.
  11. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I misread you yesterday. That's the reason for I would like to gain silver status: the possibility to edit my post without any limit (!). So here is my answer. That thread you're speaking of will probably die after the official launch. Beging for likes will become less and less funny, but I agree it has been and still is buiding a kind of spirit between "new" members. Right now, everybody seems to have fun and I like that spirit, which I hope won't vanish. We know it could.

I am especially concerned about the "like" system after the site will be officially launched.

12. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be a solution.

13. NewGamePlus
    Original Member

NewGamePlus Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I just got done posting in the "I want to be liked" thread, I have concerns about this as well. Although as was pointed out to me further downstream, it is kinda silly not to expect a community of people who get their thrills from gaming the system not to try to... game the system.

tahewett and Gargoyle like this.
  14. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    And even more shocking the reward for likes has been decreasing (or likes are less valuable). In the early days, for instance, 125 and 150 likes each earned status points . . . to my status seeking chagrin, neither do as of a change in the last two days.

It's all about tweaking the almighty claw, the claw algorithm.

cockpitvisit and Gargoyle like this.
  15. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mmmmm. Algorithm. You mean at 325 points you're not silver?

16. NewGamePlus
    Original Member

NewGamePlus Silver Member

Status Points:
    He (she?) is a silver member. Click on the status points below a member's avatar to see their points breakdown, assuming it has not been set to private.

aitchly likes this.
  17. Malu
    Original Member

Malu Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the system with "likes" starts to work as intended it would be nice to be able to sort a forum after most liked threads. It could almost replace sticky threads, as the most liked ones automatically would be on top. Quality rating, so to speak.

18. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Appreciate the comments. As noted elsewhere, various new features such as 'likes' have been loosened up to get our members more familiar with the concept. Over the course of time and actually I've already seen it in play, 'likes' will vary in their value for any status or recognition, obviously the gola is to place higher value on assisting other members build their knowledge about miles, points and travel. But, community plays a big role here as well.
    I'm fairly sure my first introduction of the concept of likes was suspect and would not have suggested the same for other travel communities, but having spent a lot of time researching and observing where it is going, I've changed my mind and have adopted such for MilePoint. Here's some late breaking news that sort of points out where some of this might be going: The American AAdvantage program just announced that it is moving to a system online that alos will adopt 'likes' and 'follows' for their AAdvantage program. This program celebrates it's 30th anniversary in a few months and is among the largest frequent flyer programs in the world. There might be something to be said that indeed we appear to be right at the start and maybe leading the path in what will likely become a more common practice several years from now. As noted, love the feedback and we measure all of it. Here's that news from AAdvantage:
    http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/02/15/american-airlines-goes-social-media-with-mileage-program/

lin821, DYKWIA and Gargoyle like this.
  19. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I also think they probably will have to put some throttles on liking. Perhaps a new member could like 10 times an hour, a silver could like 20x per hour, a gold 30 per hour, something like that. Otherwise people could create fake personnas just to like themselves

Nobody like that around here, but if there were, they'd deserve special bonuses for all their hard work!

DYKWIA likes this.
  20. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I give a like to posts that I disagree with if they draw me into the conversation by quoting them. [​IMG]

Gargoyle and aitchly like this.
  21. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course, if you dislike a post in such a way that it draws your interest, it becomes an interesting post, so you like it.

magic111 likes this.
  22. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You say tomato I say tomato. [​IMG]
    Just wanted to be clear that like is not being used by me to replace thumbs up

23. charlilo
    Original Member

charlilo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was clear. Sorry for having said tomato !

24. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer fish.

cockpitvisit and NewGamePlus like this.
  25. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that iIf our like button finger is loosened in the beta, we are more likely to use it later on.

To wit:

cockpitvisit likes this.