[Answered] The "Translate" button

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by lili, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just found this feature and it's really cool. Instantly changes Milepoint to the language of your choice.

Although everyone seems to be fluent in English, I just wondered if people were using this feature to read and post in their native language. Does it work well? ( Being American and mono-lingual I have no way to tell. :)) Also is there a way to chose a particular language as your personal default?

I think this is a really cool featured and if EVERY web page had this the world would be amazingly. connected place. I know Google has a translate feature and I use it for simple FaceBook status updates, but don't know how well it works. It doesn't translate menus very well.

Anyway, neat feature. It's like having your own simultaneous translator and the response of the person posting appears in English on my screen.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really think this is going to be useful. There have been some very knowledgeable members on FT who struggled with language barriers. This may be a better way for those members to express themselves and we will all benefit.

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I looked at the Italian, it does seem to do a pretty good job of translating.

4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    just something we are leaving in as a test. One of my goals is to grow local language content, though not within the same forum. We will be announcing a new global alliance of local language on the formal launch of MilePoint and are working on the back side for MilePoint affiliates in local language of Japanese, Spanish and French. I've never considered myself too U.S. centric and look forward to our member base to be part of a comfortable discussion of miles, points, travel and friendship in the language of your choice. So, you'll see small things like this all over MilePoint just as reference points for our roadmap. Thank you for the observation.

5. lipton
    Original Member

lipton Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it better than google? Because google is aweful!

6. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where is the translate button?

I want to check out the French translation....my mother tongue

7. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    A red square on the bottom left part of the screen. Let us know how it works.

8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the help. I just did a few random checks. I am very impressed with the quality of the French. A great tool !

9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    What tool is used for the translate function?

10. YankeeTravlr
    Original Member

YankeeTravlr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm - seem to be having a few problems with this in Firefox. Had to ask it to translate about eight times before it would start translating the actual posts, and then only translated a few of them. However, once it did so, the Spanish looked pretty good...

11. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I got a chance to check it myself :) Not ready for prime time. Translated this thread for a few different languages, then back to English. Interesting. YankeeTravlr's post came back like this:

Well - obviously there are some problems with this in Firefox. He asks her to move more than eight times before he would move the actual work, and then just leave some of them. However, when he did, apparently in Spanish, similar ...

And Randy's post:
    but we are leaving things in the test.One of my goals is to grow into the sound of the language, if not in a platform.Kami will announce a new global alliance of local language at the official launch MilePoint and they work on the back for a friend MilePoint in the native Japanese, Spanish and French. I consider myself not too much between the U.S. and hope to base all our members to be part of a convenient way to discuss the rock, eyes and friendship in the language of your choice wako.Hivyo see little things like this at all MilePoint only as a reference point for Our road map. Thank you for your inquiry.

I'm hoping when I log off and call up this thread again it will be back to regular English.

And of course not all languages are there:
    Khmer or Cambodian, is the language of the Khmer people and the official language of Cambodia. It is the second most widely spoken Austroasiatic language (after Vietnamese), with speakers in the tens of millions.

But I still think it's a great step towards world peace and a glimpse of the future, so it's great to have discovered it here on MilePoint

12. YankeeTravlr
    Original Member

YankeeTravlr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely better than sitting with an X-to-X dictionary in hand! (Ok, I just dated myself, didn't I...)

13. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I checked French, and it looks much better than Google used to translate.
    It however is slow, and I encountered the same problems in Firefox that
    YankeeTravlr points out.