[Answered] The "like" post feature

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by milchap, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am ambivalent about this feature.

One one hand it highlights quality posts...and that is great,,,,

....and on the other hand it can turn into a popularity contest to boost the status of friends

Perhaps the algorithm takes this into account

2. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the Like feature. To me it's better than quoting a post and giving a thumbs up. It should lessen some post padding.

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Post padding is not a problem here. Post counts are said not to be an important factor in determining status...it's now about quality of input versus quantity...

homeyfour and joesmoe like this.
  4. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the like feature, it allows me to give a little thumbs up without wasting a post, space, and time. Its a quick and easy jesture to show that a post was helpful, informative, or just interesting for whatever reason. Also a way to agree with people easily.

jackal, homeyfour and DYKWIA like this.
  5. oklAAhoma
    Original Member

oklAAhoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the like feature, too.

homeyfour, DYKWIA and gemac like this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hey, I'm just grateful there's no dislike feature!

jackal, homeyfour, kiwi and 4 others like this.
  7. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I posted this in another thread where it was relevant. and want to put it here, too, as a suggestion:

It seems that they've factored in the number of "likers" and not just the number of "likes." The like inflation will likely (hmmm... :)) be among a small group for any poster. So, the number of likers should carry more weight as the scored get higher. That will be a better indicator of contribution value, IMO.

Cheers.

homeyfour likes this.
  8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    so you think you have this figured out huh? Top secret algorithm. Mikel did an amazing job for us to devise something we feel is a positive way to help members earn additional benefits. As well, what i also liked is that while we will likely make adjustments to that algorithm, Mikel has made sure that once any member reaches any level of membership, even with a change to the algorithm, they will not lose the level they attained. I "like" that.

9. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Figured out? Not at all. I can see when looking at my record that the "number of likers" is included. I just assumed (hence the "it seems") that this was factored in. I don't even want to figure it out :)

I was just suggesting that placing relatively more weight on the number of "likers" relative to the "number of likes" (doesn't have to be more in an absolute sense, just relative) would mitigate some of the "like inflation" issues.

After all, this is Beta suggestion period, right? :)

Cheers.

homeyfour, Fredrik and joesmoe like this.
  10. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am glad we can unlike a post previously marked as like. Seems only logical since someone could edit a post and I may no longer agree with or like it.

Is there a method to only view posts we've liked? I know I can see the content of what I've posted but at the moment I don't see any kind of sort mechanism. I see "Likes Received" but not "Likes Given" in the menu.

homeyfour and NewbieRunner like this.
  11. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm willing to give it a chance and see how it works out.

12. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea if that is correct, but if it is, it shows what an absurb idea it is! Does the US Government allow folks to go into polling booths a week later, and totally change their votes? [​IMG]

It was called "Reputation" on FT and caused a riot. Heavily abused by a group of folks some of whom I see are members here. Randy canned the idea forever, as jackasses will be jackasses.

I'm very surprised it has even been considered here.

homeyfour and magic111 like this.
  13. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused by your response. What precisely are you not in favor of? Unliking a post you've liked, or editing a post, etc? Maybe I'm not understanding or maybe my original point wasn't clear.

Hypothetical situation:
    For the sake of argument, you like the Green Bay Packers. I post something saying Packers rule. You approve and like the post. I then come back later, edit the post to say Packers suck, go Pittsburgh! I flaunt my Terrible Towel at you and everyone. Yet your name remains below as liking the post.

(EDIT: I see you're from OZ. Insert Sydney and North Melbourne, West Coast or St. Kilda in place of Packers and Steelers.)

Would you still want your name associated with such a post even though the information has changed 180 degrees? That's the value of unliking something you've already liked.

This is different than unliking a post you've not previously touched, which is something we can't do and I hope we never can.

homeyfour likes this.
  14. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I notice that sometimes I can simply click the "Like" button, and I "Like" the post. Other times I click it, and a popup appears asking me to confirm that I REALLY want to like that post. Is that part of the Top Secret Algorithm, or is it a glitch or an expression of bias against the person/post which I'm trying hard to like?

15. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    is just making sure that you are not forced to like this post. :)

homeyfour, Gargoyle and milchap like this.
  16. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    From what I've read on the subject, the "like" like feature is a pretty important design element to help incentivize positive contributions.

Think of it this way. On first-gen forums (such as FT):
    • An individual maximized apparent status within the community by posting a lot, regardless of the quality of their posts.
    • An individual maximized their visibility by making sure that their ideas were on the front page, or better, on the "recent threads list." The best way to do this was to engage in controversial or outright trolling behavior.

On MiPo:
    • An individual maximizes their apparent status by contributing positively to the community--assuming the "like" system is well-implemented.
    • Maybe, there will eventually be a similar system by which threads/topics are promoted/demoted based on ratings so that rather than just trolling a thread to stay on the front page, one would have to improve the quality of the thread to help elevate it.
    I will say that most of the successful examples I have seen include a "negative feedback" element to create a disincentive to trolling or anti-community posting. It will be an interesting experiment to see whether the decision not to have a "dislike" option--while in keeping with the spirit of the community--eventually hurts the ability of the design to foster the kind of community we all want.

17. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting concept well worth the effort to flush out the pros and cons.

I recognize that is a concept difficult to properly implement but I am willing to entertain a beta version to sort out the ups and downs.

18. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recognize that there are issues with allowing people to 'dislike' a post, so what would be really nice to me is a way to mark a post as 'outdated' and if enough people of a certain status mark it as such, then the post gets tagged as old (maybe hidden by default?) with no negative effects to the original poster's status.

19. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    just when you think you've got us figured out ....

joesmoe likes this.
  20. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you have given too many likes lately?

21. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was wondering about this, too. It would be a very useful feature.

22. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being people used to trying to squeeze all we can out of status programmes, can we be trusted to use the like feature properly? ;)

Exiled in Express and joesmoe like this.
  23. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why the status point calculation algorithms are dynamic -- they will change over time to prevent (at least excessive) gaming of the system. A much more flexible system than just counting posts!

joesmoe likes this.
  24. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Nah, it didn't resist my liking your post. It only comes up randomly that it questions my judgment in liking things.

That's ok, Mrs. Gargoyle will confirm that I have questionable judgment in most things (with the one big exception, of my showing great judgment in marrying her).

25. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    One idea that could help is to restrict the amount of liking you can do to the amount that people like you. So with 50 likes you can like up to 50 posts in a week/month/whatever. Might be a bit harsh for new members though.

lin821 and joesmoe like this.